My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!! - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmmm, The ones I was issued I never had to bump it, and never seen any one else have to do, not saying you dont, but stating that I never had to and never saw any one else do it either.

Layton

Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #42

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Out of the several dozen I have owned maybe two or three didnt need help closing the bolt.

Since you have never heard of anyone ever having to do this before, Google "bump op rod garand "

Last edited by Orlando; 07-27-2009 at 03:14 AM.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have to bump the op rod on my '43 Springfield. Occasionally I don't, but it's pretty darn rare.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #44

Likes Given: 2

Someone told me to buy at least one replacement "following rod" because they fail frequently. Is this true or just more "expert" advice that I should just ignore??? I mean aside from the obvious asset of having extra parts on hand.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #45

There is no part on the Garand that is really prone to wearing out if in good condition to begin with
I would replace the Op Rod spring with a new one form Orion 7 (Stay away from Wolf Springs)

Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1310 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Default M1 Scope Mount

I was perusing through and found this post on the M1 and was wondering if anyone here has mounted a scope on their rifle. Specifically, does anyone here have the Griffin & Howe mount and do they think it is worth the asking price? My rifle shoots fine with iron sights at 100 yards (about 2"-3" with the Greek surplus ammunition), but it takes a few more moments to get the irons on target than it does a scope. I used to own a HK-91 and I had a Hensoldt scope mounted on it. At 100 yards or so, the difference between using the scope and iron sights wasn't real dramatic, but at 200 or more, the difference in the ease of acquiring and hitting the target was noticeable. I would like to do some longer range shooting, but I'm not sure if the $1000.00 price tag of the installed mount and scope is worth it. Perhaps I need better eyes, but I can't find anyone with a good pair who's willing to part with them. Will a National Match front sight help enough at 200 yards to make the scope unnecessary?

Regarding M1 thumb, I've found that new clips are stiffer than older or well-used clips. The tighter the clip clamps down on the rounds, the less likely the rifle's bolt will slam shut upon seating of the clip. My rifle requires a good hard whack to close the bolt on a new clip. If an old or used clip is inserted, you'd better have your hand in the way of the op-rod handle if you want to keep your thumb.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #47

Personally I would bother putting a scope on a Garand. If you want a target rifle I would buy one and leave the Garand for what it was designed for.
Just a thought

Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #48

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Personally I would bother putting a scope on a Garand. If you want a target rifle I would buy one and leave the Garand for what it was designed for.
Just a thought
I agree, why ruin a piece of history?

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-02-2009, 01:23 AM   #49

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Ammo for Garand

First of all it would be absolutely hateful to run commercial ammo through a 65 plus year old military hero and damage it.
A bunch of money is spent for the Garand in the first place, and I can assure you that op rods ain't cheap. I bought a new one because the piston was less than .525 and the tab was worn down.
It is highly recommended that you purchase a Shuster or McCann adjustable gas plug, use mil surp ammo or load your own to M1 specs such as in the new Hornady manual.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #50

I've been using the greek surplus stuff and haven't had any issues.

..................markerdown

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Last edited by markerdown; 09-07-2009 at 03:33 PM.