My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Its when you don't load the rifle correctly and the bolt "bites" your thumb as it travels forward to load a round, hurts like a bastard, but easy enough to prevent.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, you dont forget after the first lesson

Layton

Old 07-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #33

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Its when you don't load the rifle correctly and the bolt "bites" your thumb as it travels forward to load a round, hurts like a bastard, but easy enough to prevent.

It is impossible to get "Garand Thumb" when loading the Rifle. It cannot happen as the bullet is between the chamber and bolt so your thumb cannot get hit.
It happens when someone puts their fingers. thumb where they dont belong when playing around with the follower and the bolt comes forward .

Old 07-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
It is impossible to get "Garand Thumb" when loading the Rifle. It cannot happen as the bullet is between the chamber and bolt so your thumb cannot get hit.
It happens when someone puts their fingers. thumb where they dont belong when playing around with the follower and the bolt comes forward .
I beg to differ on that, When you put the loaded clip in, you put your hand above the receiver with your thumb pointed down, then very quickly jam the clip down and upon doing that the bolt slams shut,The range instructor always gave a demo on the proper way to do that, but at that time there were about 5 that were not quick enough remvoving their thumb and the instructors had to pull back the bolt so they could remove their thumb.

Perhaps some that used the M-1 can verify that it does happen.

Layton

Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #35

I suppose its possible but you would almost have to try and do it on purpose to happen while loading.
I have shot many thousands of rds and never even come close to getting my thumb caught.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #36

I like how he posts the photo of all the Garands when he wants notice taken of his infinite wisdom on the matter

Best regards, Ciao

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I like how he posts the photo of all the Garands when he wants notice taken of his infinite wisdom on the matter

Best regards, Ciao
Well,it never happened to me, but I sa it happen to others, all i remember is that you have to jab the clip quick.The demo the range di put on was enough for me to decide to put the speed in my jab, he put about a 1" inch stick in and pressed down, it broke the stick. I was issued it for about 4 months, then when I got to the 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood, we got the M-14.

Layton

Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #38

Quote:

Best regards, Ciao
Infinite wisdom? No, but I'm no Johnny come latetly fool who just quotes what they have heard or read on the interent.
You can take what I tell you or ignore it but I speak from experience

Last edited by Orlando; 07-27-2009 at 01:06 AM.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
Well,it never happened to me, but I sa it happen to others, all i remember is that you have to jab the clip quick.The demo the range di put on was enough for me to decide to put the speed in my jab, he put about a 1" inch stick in and pressed down, it broke the stick. I was issued it for about 4 months, then when I got to the 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood, we got the M-14.

Layton
I've seen it happen several times, never pretty. I can see it happening more frequently in combat though when you're in a rush to load the gun and you're either in an awkward position or just not focused on the gun, which I could understand with thousands of Nazi's advancing on your position

Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 AM   #40

considering most Garands need a bump on the Op Rod to close when loading I still stand by mytatememnt that its near impossible to get Garand thumb when loading the rifle.