My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Being a gas operated rifle you will need to completly dissasemble the gas system if using corrosive.
Will have to remove the gas cylinder and clean under it as well as te Op Rod etc.
If it is WW11 in cans it would probably be worth more to a collector than shooting ammo
Just my opinion

Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2740 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Very doubtful you will find any .30-06 made more than 15 years ago that was not reloadable. Primers on ALL ammo from that era should be considered corrosive. Not a big deal, you just need to clean it properly. Most recommend Windex and/or boiling hot water.

To test the primers for corrosiveness, pull the bullet from a round. Dump the powder. Take a board (2 x 4 or 1 x 4) and drive two nails through so they stick out the other side. Chamber the primed case and carefully slide the muzzle over the nail. Touch off the round. Mark which nail was exposed to the priming residue. Let is sit out in the elements for a couple of days. If the nail in question rusts considerably faster than the other, you have corrosive ammo.

If you come across Korean surplus, remember to look at the headstamps. PS = Pretty Sweet, KA = Korrosive Ammo.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #23

Likes Given: 2

Ha ha, Thanks Robo, didn't know that about the headstamps. He told me its WW2 surplus, but I haven't seen it yet, I will tomorrow. What would it be stamped with if it's WW2???

Having to completely take the gun apart every time is no big deal, I'd be doing that anyway like I do with all my Semi-autos.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Having to completely take the gun apart every time is no big deal, I'd be doing that anyway like I do with all my Semi-autos.
You don't have to completely disassemble the rifle each time. I would also suggest that you do not remove the gas cylinder. It's not meant to be removed for routine cleaning. Too much fooling with it, then it will never be tight again. Just turn the rifle upside down and spray cleaner inside, then let it drain.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #25

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
You don't have to completely disassemble the rifle each time. I would also suggest that you do not remove the gas cylinder. It's not meant to be removed for routine cleaning. Too much fooling with it, then it will never be tight again. Just turn the rifle upside down and spray cleaner inside, then let it drain.

Thats the bad thing about shooting corrosive ammo ina Garand. It must be completely dsassembled including the gas cylinder.
If you dont corrosion may result under the cylinder on the barrel

Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Gonzo, you got PM.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #27

K, Thanks guys. I'm going tomorrow morning, hopefully I'll find what i want. I'll try to remember to post pics if anyone cares.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thats the bad thing about shooting corrosive ammo ina Garand. It must be completely dsassembled including the gas cylinder.
If you dont corrosion may result under the cylinder on the barrel
I would say, that if you only do that once a year, you should be ok. But if you completely disassemble the gas cylinder every time you shoot it, it will not tighten sufficiently. I've heard of people losing the nut while shooting when they constantly remove the cylinder. It's up to the owner to decide. Hopefully there won't be too much corrosive ammo in the Garand's future. He's getting a 03A3 too so maybe he should leave the corrosive to the boltie.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #29

I got a 1943 dated M1 Garand for $600, it was marked at $849 but I talked him down to $700 and then when he found out who my father-in-law was and that it was my first and how long I've wanted one he knocked another $100 off. It looks great and everything is in immaculate shape, I had one of our club members tear it down and he said its really nice, the barrel is a little worn but he said he had a few used ones he'd install for $40 total for me if the one I got shoots squirrely, Throat Erosion measured a 4.5, but the rest of the rifling looks great. My father-in-law hooked me up with 192 rounds of Greek ammo on end-blocks and a bayonet, sling, and ammo belt w/ shoulder straps for nothing (freebie value??? $300-400???) Apparently he got wise to the value of the WW2 ammo and I'm "not getting anywhere near it" The deal I got on the M1 allowed me to get a mint, matching numbers 1941 K98k for $400 (which was $449 before I started wheelin') and a toy for $150 a Sporterized and scoped 1943 Enfield which I got for $100 after dealing, its butchered but thats what I wanted and oddly enough it has the cleanest bore I've ever seen on an enfield. I couldn't get over the prices, this was the big national show of the year and most Garands were going for $1100+ and The Average K98k price was $595.....ridiculous...... Over-all I'm a happy guy, right before I left i found an Arisaka w/ Mum for $239 that I probably could have got for $175-200 but I was down to $125 bu them. Here's a few pics if anyone cares. Thanks for your help fellas!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default M-1 Garand Trivia Question

Does any one know what a M-1 thumb is?

Layton