My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

NO COMMERCIAL AMMO unless you use a adjustable gas screw . The exception is Hornady who makes a specifc rd for the Garand to bad its about $1.35 per rd.
You have choices
Surplus m2ball
adjusable gas screw and any commercial ammo under 180 gr
Hornadys ammo garand safe load

Last edited by Orlando; 07-23-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #12

Likes Given: 2

Well maybe I won't get one, how long is the M2 ball gonna last for ya know??? How easy to use are the Adjustable gas screws?? They're not too expensive.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Well maybe I won't get one, how long is the M2 ball gonna last for ya know??? How easy to use are the Adjustable gas screws?? They're not too expensive.
If you can afford comercial ammo you can afford a $35.00 adjustable gas screw
Once theye are adjusted they are set unless you cahnge ammo brands,etc
No one knows how long surplus ammo will be available

Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 AM   #14

I wasn't complaining about the price, $35 is cheap, and commercial 30-06 is only $13.50 a box @ Wally World, cheaper than M2 ball surplus if U can find it. CMP is 100+ days out and you gotta go through all their crap to get it. I'm just curious how easy it is to adjust the gas screws and if they actually do the trick, from what i understand they were actually designed for M1's that were re-chambered to .308.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You can find a ton of Greek HXP on Gunbroker. It's more expensive than CMP, but you can have your ammo in a week.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. I think you're gonna' love your Garand, there's just something special about them.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #16

I know, its that one gun that I've always wanted but never bought for myself

Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
I wasn't complaining about the price, $35 is cheap, and commercial 30-06 is only $13.50 a box @ Wally World, cheaper than M2 ball surplus if U can find it. CMP is 100+ days out and you gotta go through all their crap to get it. I'm just curious how easy it is to adjust the gas screws and if they actually do the trick, from what i understand they were actually designed for M1's that were re-chambered to .308.
They are made for the Garand no matter what caliber.
There is no "crap " you have to go through to purchase from CMP.
Yes there is a wait and there are qualifications but it is easy and well wortth it for the money you save.
My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!! - Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion

Old 07-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #18

Can surplus M2 ammo be reloaded??? And i just found out my father-In-law has 4,000 rounds of WW2 M2 stashed away in the basement from the 50's that he says I can have, so I guess I'm in business I'm a happy boy. Plus, he's giving be 400 rounds of Jap ammo so I can get a new Arisaka, i haven't had one in years because the ammo is so expensive. I've got enough saved for this show I'm getting the M1 Garand, Nazi Marked 98k Mauser, Arisaka, Another 03-a3, and if there's enough left another 1911a1.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #19

Is he giving you WW11 ammo or just the cases.
If it is WW11 loaded ammo it would be corrosive.
If it is cases it can be reloaded as long as it is boxer primed

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #20

WW2 ammo, end blocks, bandoliers i'm assuming, he said they are original sealed cans. I don't care if its corrosive, almost everything else i shoot is, just means i get more quality time with my gun while I clean it. And i just had a fellow club member order me some CMP ammo, maybe I'll see it in a year or so.