My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default My first M1 Garand, AMMO Questions???? HELP!!

OK, So I've finally got enough money together to get my first Garand. I'm planning on picking it out at the Gun show this Friday, but now I'm getting all these people telling me I can't shoot Commercial Ammo through them. Is this true?? Partially True?? Or Myth??? If it is, are there any types I can shoot, I've already purchased some 180 Gr Core Lokt and Federal ammo. Thanks for the Help.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

The M1 wasnt meant to fire modern ammunition. If you shoot factory 30-06 ammo it can bend your op rod. It was designed to shot M2 ammo. This was loaded with a 150 grain bullet and was loaded with 48 grains of IMR 4895 powder. This gave an entirely different preasure curve than does modern hunting ammo. Some people have used modern ammo in their M1 with sucess, however why chance it? More people have had troubles with this ammo than people who havent. You are in luck though, since at least 2 manufactures are making ammo strickly for the M1. Hornady is one and I cant remember who the second one is. Also there is lots of M2 ammo out there and it is easy to substitute FMJ bullets for soft point of the same weight.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The CMP has Greek HXP M2 ball for a great price and it is very accurate stuff. Federal used to have an American Eagle M2 loading but I have not checked on it in a while.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #4

Also, Hornady has come out with an M1- specific round for the Garands. Of course I ordered some 3 months ago and haven't gotten 'em yet
Sorry 30-30, didn't realize you already mentioned the Hornady rounds(just woke up)

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I reload for the Garand using 147/150 grain bullets and powder that is no slower than 4895. A faster powder does not seem to cause the problems that a slower powder does. Mil-surp M-2 ammo is safe. Save the cases and reload. My rifle shoots about 5-6" with LC or HXP M-2 and sub 2" with a reasonable handload using W-748 or BLC-2.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

168 gr. Sierra Match with 48 grs. 4064. No problem.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

You might be better off just to purchase the Greek ball from the CMP. Accurate and a good price for bulk. It will just take a while to receive it, at least 120 days from order placement.

You won't regret buying a Garand, although check to see if it's a CMP resell. I've seen quite a few vendors selling refurbished rifles that looked good as new, however they seemed very reluctant to tell the price. The CMP still has a few quality ones left for under $600, service grade and they have a refurbished with new wood option for $995 with original receiver and other parts, but new barrel. Much better to purchase one of those if you can wait, than to overpay for a resellers rifle.

Also, don't forget to pick up a sling and bayo.

9x18=Makarov

Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I use the Greek HXP and have some stored. It shoots great, it's accurate and it's clean. I have a 1943 Springfield M1.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #9

Likes Given: 2

I understand all the M2 surplus stuff is good 2 go. But has anyone shot any CoreLokt winchester or Federal ammo??? Is it just flat out a NO NO or is it one of those things that if it works it works????

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have taken the advice of those who know more than me and do not shhot commercial ammunition in my Garand. Too much chamber pressure is the reason.
Enjoy your Garand.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams