Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   MSAR Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/msar-questions-86418/)

1911love 03-13-2013 01:57 AM

MSAR Questions

2 Attachment(s)
I recently bought a MSAR Stg-556 gen4 at a gun show and need some help. First off, if anybody has any experience with this rifle please share. Any tips/tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also bought a MeproLight M21M today and mounted it. The optic in the pics came with it, it's a cheap BSA RD30. The problem with the MeproLight is its too high when using a proper cheek weld. I read the 1913 mount is calibrated for the optic at the factory, so I'm guessing I shouldn't remove it. How can I lower it? I really like the optic, but if need be I'll put it on a flap top AR. What optic would you recommend for a MSAR? Thanks for the help.

Olympus 03-13-2013 04:26 PM

Congrats on the purchase. I've always liked those guns. They just never really took of the ground in terms of popularity. I think partly because the first versions used a proprietary mag. I think the later designs used a standard AR mag. I think it's a gun you'll enjoy.

1911love 03-13-2013 11:58 PM

Thanks Olympus! Mine appears to be a Gen4(no f/a, square takedown pin), so I think it will run AUG mags as well as MSAR mags. IDK for sure though, I only have a 10rnd and a 30rnd MSAR mag.

john300k 03-14-2013 01:47 AM

My wife won one in a raffle at our local gun shop/range. The first time I shot it jammed. It was so bad that the gun shop boxed it up and sent it back to the factory. If I paid $2000+ I would have been pissed...$10 raffle ticket, no so much. I got it back and it seems fine now. MSAR went tits up but now they are back open for business. My wife and I are left handed and I need to buy the left handed bolt to really enjoy it. Not much info on the Internet about these, there is a Bull-pup forum you can check out.

1911love 03-14-2013 02:17 AM

Thanks John! That bullpup forum is pretty sparse too. I figured out my MeproLight prob. I need either an E4 optics rail or a Promoted Pawn optics rail. Which is better for hard use?

Rarity 03-23-2013 08:22 AM

That is a nice Bullpup you have there.

Would you go with an EO-TECH? They are nice and all if you have that tactical fitness :cool:

1911love 03-23-2013 09:38 PM

Thanks Rarity. I have heard of many issues with the EoTechs lately, battery leakage and battery life. The reticle is a little to busy for me too. I bought the M21 for these reasons. My concern now is a longer range option available as well. I'm also looking into getting a Trijicon TA33G-H for target ident/observation.

I have the Promoted Pawn optics rail and a sling swivel set on order. Until it comes in I can't really do much bc the stock rail is a little to high for a proper cheek weld.

I'm also wanting to put a set of BUIS on her. The optics rail sight radius is around 12 inches(I think, I don't have it yet). Any suggestions for a top quality set of BUIS? I've been looking at Troy and Diamond Back.

1911love 03-31-2013 01:46 AM

I finally got my Promoted Pawn parts in. If anyone is interested I just posted my review in the Technical Articles and Write-Ups section.

mag318 05-13-2013 06:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
THe MSAR STG556 IMO is a fine rifle and definately on par with the original Steyr AUG. I bought mine with the factory optic and it has been a very good setup. A friend has one with the rail on which he mounted the excellent Hensoldt ZF-24. I would not hesitate to recommend the STG556 to anyone looking for a bullpup.

1911love 05-16-2013 03:33 AM

I shot mine for the first time on Friday. Shot good, just needs some breaking in. It felt really weird bc it's so short, I've never shot a bullpup before. I can't wait to mount a ACOG, a light and get a sling. I've also been looking at the hybrid bolt and trigger pack from Rat Worx USA that uses AR-15 parts. They told me the trigger pack lightens the trigger to 5.5 pounds.