Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Mp7 suppresor (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/mp7-suppresor-94011/)

Monarch416 07-17-2013 12:37 AM

Mp7 suppresor

Ok so I met someone at my school and we just started having a casual conversation about guns and what'll be new in the next couple years and when I brought up the mp7 and how the only army's that adopted it are replacing it with different pdws for different reasons and when he asked what reasons I said familiarity more mass produced cartridges and rate of fire he then argued saying that the rate of fire reason was "bs" because H&K made a suppressor that increases the rate of fire but my knowledge on suppressors is that they dissipate the gas as to produce les noise and muzzle flash and he also says its like the best one but I didn't think they could increase the rate of fire of guns because in order for them to do that they would have to be directly linked to the weapons gas system wouldn't it? and he's just saying its attachable and that really wouldn't make any sense I mean It probably would be possible if it was internally suppressed but it would prove him wrong cuz there is no mp7 model that's internally suppressed so I don't know there could be one but I wouldn't know off it and sorry for such a long post but I appreciate any feedback on my question

elfmdl 07-17-2013 12:47 AM

You are correct, suppressors lower the decibel level of the gun shots by redirecting gas and reduce muzzle flash. The action is where the rate of fire comes from.

MisterMcCool 07-17-2013 12:49 AM

Rate of fire is controlled by the cycling of the action.

Monarch416 07-17-2013 12:58 AM

I know it's just some guns have a gas operated action even though the mp7 isn't one of them but a suppressor can't increase a weapons fire rate can it?

rifleman77 07-17-2013 12:58 AM

Your colleague is a mr. Knowitall who is trying to sound smart to impress you. You know the type, always have the random fact that your too lazy to google. Just right him off ass a egotistical jackass from now on. And I could see the the mp7 replaced simply because the ammo is so odd. What is it like a 4.8x???. It's the only gun that shoot the round. That more odd than FNs 5.7.

Axxe55 07-17-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monarch416 (Post 1306486)
I know it's just some guns have a gas operated action even though the mp7 isn't one of them but a suppressor can't increase a weapons fire rate can it?

not that i know of, no it can't increase the rate of fire. as stated, the cyclic rate is dependent upon design of the action system.

as stated, a suppressor quiets down the cartridge the same way a muffler does on a vehicle. for cartridge to be fully suppressed it has to be sub-sonic ammo as well, below around 1100 FPS in muzzle velocity IIRC.

i saw some tests on some firearms years ago about whether a suppressed firearm lost muzzle velocity. in the tests they showed a very small decrease in muzzle velocity as a general rule vs. an unsuppressed firearm of the same type.

Monarch416 07-17-2013 01:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback and ya I can see that too cuz it's 4.8X57mm so that's one of the big canadites for its removal because most of the other countries have weapon systems that fire the 7.62 or 5.56 in that position

KingTiger 07-17-2013 08:26 PM

Suppressors can raise the rate of fire due to increased back pressure. They also help some firearms function more reliably for the same reason.
That is one of the reasons some use an Endine hydraulic buffer in their FA M-16's. I use one in my AR-15 to keep the increased back pressure from battering my lower when shooting suppressed.

Here's my poor man's MP7.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ractice026.jpg

1911love 07-20-2013 04:53 AM

Nice MAC King! What brand and model is it?

KingTiger 07-20-2013 02:44 PM

Thanks. It started out as a SWD M11/9, the lower & FCG are about the only original parts on it now. It has the Lage slow fire upper & accessories. I use the configuration it's in now, with the .22 conversion, more than anything else. Shooting subsonic 9mm, suppressed, is pretty much fun too!