Monolithic? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Monolithic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmkeith View Post
I'm no expert with monolithic uppers and this is my opinion: From what I've seen, a conventional free floating handguard is threaded onto the barrel nut. With the monolithic uppers, the upper receiver and the handguard/rails are machined as one piece, with it still resembling and functioning as a free floating handguard. Since everything is machined as one piece, with no additional attachment points, it makes the assembly more stable.
I understand that but 1stMarine said, "Also makes free float rails that aren't part of the reciever more stable as its basiaclly an extra attach point to the upper. Looks cooler too..."

If it's a mono upper how can the rail be seperate from the receiver? Kinda defeats the idea of mono. Correct?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I understand that but 1stMarine said, "Also makes free float rails that aren't part of the reciever more stable as its basiaclly an extra attach point to the upper. Looks cooler too..."

If it's a mono upper how can the rail be seperate from the receiver? Kinda defeats the idea of mono. Correct?
I see your point...I just misread his post.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmkeith View Post
I see your point...I just misread his post.
I'm thinking I must be misreading it as well.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #14

I meant that in reference to the mk12 spr mod 0 upper, how it has a built in riser that attaches to the top rail of any ar, then threads onto the barrel nut of the reciever. Not about one that was machined as part of the upper.

Never Forget.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #15

Liked 220 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Another nice part of the mono upper is the ones I have seen have a barrel nut included in the assembly that is more of a spanner nut and does not have to be aligned with the gas tube because it stays closer to the profile of the barrel.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin