M4 Carbon 15 or Mini 30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M4 Carbon 15 or Mini 30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M4 Carbon 15 or Mini 30

Looking to hopefully purchase the Mini 30 or the M4 at the next gun show in April. I was just seeing if I could get some feedback on either gun? Thoughts, pros/cons? What's a good price I should be looking for?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Neither. I'll elaborate when I get to a computer, my battery is about dead.

Why a gun show? All I see at gun shows is a bunch of low end crap that someone has attached more low end crap to and marked up to rediculous prices.

Example: I saw a $1300 DPMS w/ a bunch of UTG crap mounted all over it. Have you heard the saying, you can't polish a turd? Well this was a case of, you can't polish a turd with fecal matter.

What you're willing to spend is more important than what price you should be looking for. Give us a price cap and I bet you'll be better off than roaming the gun show w/ a fist full of cash.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-09-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Well I was hoping to stay between $850-900 if possible... But willing to go a little higher. What rifle would you suggest? This would be my first rifle.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

If your are careful and dont go for bling, you can pick up some good buys a gun shows. You can also get taken. Always carry a bore light and maybe a magnifying glass if you are looking used. I have a Mini 30 and I like it. Dont look for AR accuracy but it is more accurate than the AK I had. I also have a DPMS and it has been accurate and reliable. Even shoots Wolf with no problem. Not high end but very serviceable. I dont have a lot of junk on mine. Tac light and scope is all. I throw on a bipod when I need it. They are 2 different animals. You have to list your wants and needs and figure out which fits them best.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

Any other rifles or possibly shot guns I should be looking for? Looking for home protection and fun at the range. I.E the M4

Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger703
Well I was hoping to stay between $850-900 if possible... But willing to go a little higher. What rifle would you suggest? This would be my first rifle.
The $900 range will get you a BCM. One of the best in the mind of many.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2271 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
The $900 range will get you a BCM. One of the best in the mind of many.
Rock River Arms would be in that group as well. Probably would have bought one for my b-day in January, but wanted to get that Ruger as well. So I built my own for around $650.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Rock River Arms would be in that group as well. Probably would have bought one for my b-day in January, but wanted to get that Ruger as well. So I built my own for around $650.
True which strengthens the recommendation for BCM.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I hadn't heard anyone outright bash the carbon 15 yet. Don't do it....just don't. I'm gonna put on my "AR snob" hat and say that a poly/nylon whatever lower receiver on an AR is a bad idea. That said, You can get alot of AR for the -$900.00 range. Just be patient and do your homework.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
I hadn't heard anyone outright bash the carbon 15 yet. Don't do it....just don't. I'm gonna put on my "AR snob" hat and say that a poly/nylon whatever lower receiver on an AR is a bad idea. That said, You can get alot of AR for the -$900.00 range. Just be patient and do your homework.
There's instances on this very forum of blown up carbon 15s.

It's not so much the lower as it is the upper and the manufacture.

A quality $900 AR is an all day everyday thing. Spikes, BCM, Colt, LMT, and so on.

-John Ruskin

Quote: