Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A vs. FN FAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3677 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Default M1A vs. FN FAL

Ding ding ding... Round one!!!

Which is better? Why?

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #2

Likes Given: 1

A DSA FAL or some of the original FNs and some copys like the STG-58 IMO are a lot better than a M1A. I own a STG-58 and a DSA shorty 16 inch. Yes I have owned a M1A. The recoil of the FAL is less felt than the M1A and with a newer barrel type like the one from DSA or yanky hill (not a part barrel) give the same accuracy as a match fraud M1A. The FAL is lighter in weight by a few lbs. Mags for booth cost about the same now but just a few years back Fal mags where 5-15 dollars each. Now there about 20 to 30. I have owned 13 FALs over the years and 5 M1As all in different types. Stay away from enterprise, hessie, and century built FALs there mostly crap. Yes I have owned them and yes they are cheaper but most if the tine Tgere built wit head space issues and they use non compliant parts. One century R1A1 type I had had a metric upper and a inch lower and a type 2 dutch bolt with aussy fire pin. Basicly a mut gun but it worked but was not very accurate. Like shooting an older mini14. My DSA and (true STG-58 not a parts kit) stg-58 I get 1inch to 2inch at 300 meters.

So when you look at a M1A vs a FAL the cost for a nice top end M1A is 1600+ the cost of a nice FAL start at 1600+ ish. Its all in what you like. The M1A is battle proven, but the FAL has been in more conflicts in more countries (including the US presently in use in afganistan). As you can see I favor the FAL and it is my choice of rifle but ether way you go as long as you get a good FAL or a good M1A (not a chinese copy)you made a good choice.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #3

Liked 4716 Times on 2692 Posts
Likes Given: 3731

My choice would be the FAL. It was probably the most heavily used 7.62X51 in the free world.

Even Israel used it before converting to the 5.56X45.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Liked 3677 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I have one with an Imbel metric receiver. It's done me good so far. The barrel looks like crap however, and I would like to replace it.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 09-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Can we add the AR pattern 308s to this comparison? All seem to be about the same prices.... How much do M1a, Fals and AR10s weigh?

Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Can we add the AR pattern 308s to this comparison? All seem to be about the same prices.... How much do M1a, Fals and AR10s weigh?
Excellent point. My first choice is the AR platform, By a large margin. and they're not the same price, I don't believe. The AR platform costs less.

But of the two the OP mentioned, or if I couldn't get an AR then I'd choose the FAL.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #7

Liked 97 Times on 44 Posts

It's all about accuracy! M1A, hands down! Wood and steel will seal the deal!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Anut View Post
It's all about accuracy! M1A, hands down! Wood and steel will seal the deal!
If you're looking for accuracy, the M1A can be ordered with a synthetic stock.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #9

Liked 255 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I will let the figures speak for themselves. It is one of the most widely used rifles in history, having been used by over 90 countries. How many used the M1A. As for wood and steel.

Last edited by manta; 09-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #10

Liked 97 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
I will let the figures speak for themselves. It is one of the most widely used rifles in history, having been used by over 90 countries. How many used the M1A. As for wood and steel.
Nice rifle, but I've owned both, there's no comparison. That's my opinion, but if a fal floats your boat, that's great! I lean towards accuracy more than just putting rounds down range. Fal's are a great battle rifle, but the M1A is that and so much more.