Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   M1A vs. Daewoo Dr200 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/m1a-vs-daewoo-dr200-86242/)

LateralSage 03-10-2013 10:12 PM

M1A vs. Daewoo Dr200

I am new to the firearms community and am wishing to purchase a new rifle.
after months of internet searching, referrals, and reviews i have come up with two rifles i am interested in buying. The m1a or a deawoo dr200 (the one chambered in 5.56). I was wondering if anyone had any opinion on which is a better rifle for beginners wishing to get into recreational and competitive shooting as well as for home defense.
Thanks,
LateralSage

Sniper03 03-11-2013 01:17 AM

Sage,

When you advised Competition Shooting, that definitely swings the pendulum to the M1-A, M1-A Loaded Model or the M1-A National Match Model. None any better.

Nothing wrong with at all with the Daewoo. However in the 223 AR200 is not a match model gun unless you might be shooting 3 gun matches or something similar. Certainly a great gun and fun to shoot as well as defense. At the present time good quality ammunition for either may be a little difficult to get due to the present crazy demand. You will just need to shop around. Ammo is available if you look around.

Good Luck on your selection!:)

25-5 03-11-2013 07:26 PM

I agree with Sniper. I have the M1A National match. For home defense you will be able to help the folks 2 blocks away. :D

LateralSage 03-12-2013 02:04 AM

Thanks for your responses i am definitely swinging toward the M1-A :)

KingTiger 03-13-2013 03:56 PM

Those are two totally different platforms & calibers.

Here's a few mods that I had done to my 'Woo that greatly improved it -

- Installed an Ace side-folding stock w/other parts to get my made in USA parts count up.

- Had the barrel cut to 16" & threaded for a Blackout flash suppressor/mount for my AAC M4-2000 suppressor.

- Had the front site cut to be "HK style" so it wouldn't interfere with the optic.

- Installed a Stormwerkes optic rail.

I mainly shoot it suppressed. The 4-position gas block makes sure it's not over gassed from the suppressor back pressure.

The barrell is 1:12 twist, so 55 gr. is the max weight bullet to make sure the round is stabilized.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...oDR-200001.jpg

7point62 03-15-2013 09:07 PM

I love the M1A. It wouldn't be my first choice for a home defense role...but there's no reason you couldn't grab it in an emergency. It'll scare the s**t out of a BG before it kills him. And it will kill him.

FullautoUSA 03-16-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTiger

- Installed an Ace side-folding stock w/other parts to get my made in USA parts count up.

- Had the barrel cut to 16" & threaded for a Blackout flash suppressor/mount for my AAC M4-2000 suppressor.

- Had the front site cut to be "HK style" so it wouldn't interfere with the optic.

I mainly shoot it suppressed. The 4-position gas block makes sure it's not over gassed from the suppressor back pressure.

The barrell is 1:12 twist, so 55 gr. is the max weight bullet to make sure the round is stabilized.

That thing is awesome!

yayamamasami 03-19-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTiger

That's a sweet looking shooter, KT!!!!