M1A vs AR-10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A vs AR-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default M1A vs AR-10

On the short list for my next purchases is a .308 sports utility rifle. I'd like something precision capable for several hundred yards (though I may lack the skill to deliver), but with a 16-20" barrel in more of a CQB platform. This is not intended for hunting. It would mostly be a zombie/target/fun gun. Already have an AR-15, and I've wanted a nice semi-auto 308 for some time. I figure most of the decent setups are gonna run $1500-2000 by the time you add accessories and optics.

I've looked over the RRA LAR-8, SA M1A, FN FNAR...but I'm a novice on the subject for sure. So I'd like to hear what some of you folks like about one platform vs the other, advantages/disadvantages, etc....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you thought about an AR in .308 or are you wanting a different platform all together? I like the Springfield M1A quite a bit. I just think they feel good.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

An AR-10 is an "AR in 308", is it not? Maybe there are some variations or specifics I'm not familiar with. But yes...AR type setup (RRA LAR8, DPMS AP8, etc) vs the Springfield M1A is essentially what I'm asking. And I'll also probably give the FNAR a look.

Honestly, I haven't shot either yet. I'll have to do something about that.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #4

Sweeper,

I have an M1A and absolutely love it, It's more accurate then I can ever hope to be. I'm not familiar with the AR10 other than what I've read about them.

I would think that Aftermarket parts/add-ons would be numerous for both with an edge going to the M1A just cause it's been around for over 50 years (M14) The AR10 has existed for just as long but never saw widespread manufacture until very recently.

My vote is for an M1A - But really I’d think you'd be happier with either as long cost isn't a factor. I imagine magazines and everything else for the AR10 would cost more just since it's fairly new to the market.

TJB

Last edited by TJB63; 12-15-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Sweeper, both platforms are great. The M14 is my personal choice, though. I've used them for a very long time, in some very rough environments and never been disappointed with reliability or accuracy. I do debate getting an AR10, though.

The AR10 type rifles operate like any AR so your consistency will be there. But there are still some odd reliability issues with the AR10 type rifles, though very rare. It has to do with the port pressure and they seem to be working on it diligently.

A good friend of mine has a DPMS and a Patriot Ordnance (POF) in .308. The POF has been completely reliable. The DPMS has the very rare failure to eject.

If you are famliar with AR's in general, get an AR10 variant. If you want some manly steel with a ton of history behind it, get an M14.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight. I was probably already leaning a bit in the direction of the Springfield, but will keep my eyes open for whatever "right deal" crosses my path on either platform.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
An AR-10 is an "AR in 308", is it not? Maybe there are some variations or specifics I'm not familiar with. But yes...AR type setup (RRA LAR8, DPMS AP8, etc) vs the Springfield M1A is essentially what I'm asking. And I'll also probably give the FNAR a look.

Honestly, I haven't shot either yet. I'll have to do something about that.
Yeah sorry, had a dumb moment there.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I do not own any of the rifles you have discussed, but i have been fighting a similar lust for some time. Have you considered a Saiga in .308 or one of the FAL's Century sells as a cheaper alternative? It is my understanding that the Saiga will lag behind in long-range accuracy due to the inherent design tolerances of the AK-type platform.

IIRC, the Century FAL rebuilds were selling in the mid $600 range, and the Saiga's were a bit less. http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-308-firearms-c-287_368.html I like the wood furniture personally.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would suggest the M1A, and in particular the Scout model for your intended use. I find them to be better balanced than the other 308 class rifles, and plenty of precision for the types of shooting distances your describing.

Other things I like about the design.

1. The location of the safety as well as the op-rod handle.
2. The iron sights are well made, reliable, and repeatable once zeroed.
3. A multitude of high quality parts are being produced for this design at present, to include current production CMI magazines.
4. Overall reliability, easy to maintain once you learn how, and if properly maintained....will be around for your next generation to enjoy.
5. Optics mounting, stock choices, and other mods are plentiful, and give the M1A user plenty options to taylor make the rifle into whatever they like.
6. It can be used with either hand, and is quite lefty friendly. This is a nice feature for right handed folks who enjoy "switch hitting", so to speak.
In short..... a rifleman's rifle.
7. It shares a few common parts with the M1 Garand.
8. SAI lifetime warranty that travels with the rifle, new or used.
9. History is deep, and still ongoing, as my issued rifle time now is an M14. ( It sports a Win receiver, and no.....I can't keep it after I get back home.)
10. The chicks dig um.
11. If you run outa ammo during a zombie culling mission, it makes for the better club.
12. The only thing better than an M14 type is having 2 of them...

Cons: See #12 above as it concerns your wallet. They are addictive imo. I couldn't stop at 2, let alone one. ( Most of my kids have one as well, to include the wife.) Your other rifles will be jealous as they wont get as much attention as they were used too.
M14sRock is another victim from the looks of one of his pictures of his floor. Hard to see the floor on account of all the M14 types lying on it. ( I would hate to have to go to the latrine in the middle of the night as I would most likely trip over one while lookin for the light switch.) The good news is that it wouldn't bother the rifle, only my feet.

Note: Then again, I might just be suffering from separation anxiety.

Grunt

Old 12-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #10

Great Post Frag, I like your writing style.

I'm currently reading a book called "The Gun" which details the AK47 from idea to present day, but there is a section on the adoption of the M16 during Vietnam and all the problems that arose with it back then, Numerous Marines state they Begged, Borrowed and Stole any M14's they could get their hands and never had any of the problems with it that they were encountering with the then New M16, The whole time the Brass was blaming the front line troops for not cleaning them properly, even though they didn't bother issuing much cleaning gear with it.

While the Present day M16 is a good Rifle, I still don't think of it as something I'd grab in a SHTF situation, But I've always been partial to .30 caliber rifles to begin with and that includes the AK type.

It's off topic, But "The Gun" is a very good read for anyone interested in modern day firearms.

TJB