Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A trouble, lots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 700 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default M1A trouble, lots

New M1A Nat. Match. Barrel stamped .308. Leupold scope, target model 6x18. on Basset low mount. Win. 7.62x51 147 gr., says target on the box all same lot. First day sighted in at 50 yds and broke in the new barrel. Target looked pretty good. Next day 100yds. started fine then no consistency. Periodically get two together then all over again. Then a slam fire. Today again no consistency and 4 slam fires. This is not my first time with a rifle and it's frustrating.
The plan: I bought Fed. .308 167 gr Premium. Gonna try iron sights at 50 yds then scope and see if there are slam fires. I am hopeing it's the ammo. I have only put 140 rnds through the rifle and I know many of you are in the thousands with multiple
M1A/M14s. Please help. Thanks

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I would get that checked by a gunsmith first.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If it's not your own reloaded ammunition thats doing this, I would get it checked by a gunsmith also.

Last edited by mrm14; 08-05-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #4

Liked 1972 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 423

A friend had a similar problem. Called Springfield. They said to send it in. It had problems with the gas block and trigger disconnector. They fixed it and shipped it back to him. No problems with slam fires any more, and better accuracy because of the gas block issues that got resolved.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Thanks

Thanks guys.
Will try some new ammo. If no change, SA is only a couple hours from home. They said they might be able to fix it while I go through their museum. A silver lining!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

that is sooooo worth the road trip!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Pull the trigger group out, holding your thumb against the hammer to catch it when you pull the trigger. Pull the trigger releasing the hammer. Keep the trigger to the rear, and push the hammer back down to catch the secondary sear. Ready to catch the hammer, should it release, slowly let the trigger forward and watch when the secondary sear lets the hammer drop to the primary sear. It should catch every time, do it a couple dozen times to be sure. If it seems really close to missing then it might be jumping on recoil. If this is the case don't shoot it until it is fixed.
If not, a lot of match ammo has soft primers to get better ignition, great for bolt action rifles, not so much on semi-autos with floating firing pins, if the primers on the slam fired rounds have noticeably lighter firing pin strikes this may be the culprit. Military ammo will have harder primers; federal, cci, and wolf primers are usually a good choice. There are other good ones, but hornady, and winchester are usually pretty soft.
In either case the bolt would be at different points of being locked up when the round ignites and that could cause the poor accuracy.
Check the trigger for safety first, if it catches every time it is likely the ammo, and I would still suggest you have it looked over by a professional.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Pull the trigger group out, holding your thumb against the hammer to catch it when you pull the trigger. Pull the trigger releasing the hammer. Keep the trigger to the rear, and push the hammer back down to catch the secondary sear. Ready to catch the hammer, should it release, slowly let the trigger forward and watch when the secondary sear lets the hammer drop to the primary sear. It should catch every time, do it a couple dozen times to be sure. If it seems really close to missing then it might be jumping on recoil. If this is the case don't shoot it until it is fixed.
If not, a lot of match ammo has soft primers to get better ignition, great for bolt action rifles, not so much on semi-autos with floating firing pins, if the primers on the slam fired rounds have noticeably lighter firing pin strikes this may be the culprit. Military ammo will have harder primers; federal, cci, and wolf primers are usually a good choice. There are other good ones, but hornady, and winchester are usually pretty soft.
In either case the bolt would be at different points of being locked up when the round ignites and that could cause the poor accuracy.
Check the trigger for safety first, if it catches every time it is likely the ammo, and I would still suggest you have it looked over by a professional.
Thanks. I will check out the trigger for sure. SA told me I was probably double tapping. I do a lot of 1911 and only double tap when I want, but who knows. My ammo was Win. 7.62x51 147 gr, which I thought was military spec. It never fired when I released the bolt. I did a lot of one at a time. I bought some Fed. Premium .308 168 gr which I plan to check accuracy one at a time easy bolt release. When I reload I will use CCI #34 primers. With safety as the key word, I will give it another try based on all the help I received here. Then maybe a trip to SA and check out the museum as well.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 on what Wilder said.

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Old 08-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have seen an m1a accidentally bump fire before. Basically the recoil pushes the gun back from your finger just enough for the trigger to reset, then when the gun comes forward off the recoil it pushes the trigger into your finger. If your trying to get that clean, barely touched trigger break, as one might do on a bolt action, this could be happening to you.
A little heavier trigger pull, and/or concentrate on your trigger pull follow through- keeping the trigger pulled back all the way until you are lining up the next shot. If no other cause can be found and your gonna go to SA, I would have them increase the trigger pull weight a little bit.