Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A Scout Squad - SR Match

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default M1A Scout Squad - SR Match

I recently purchased an M1A Scout Squad, thinking of participating in the Service Rifle matches.

Gloating over my new battle rifle, I glanced through the regulations concerning Service Rifle matches - and discovered that my Scout Squad was not kosher!

It was too short for the required Over-All Length (OAL) and on top of that, muzzle-brakes are not allowed in Service Rifle matches.

Seems like if I had a regular M1A flash-hider, and a 2" piece of steel tubing with the proper female threads on one end, and male threads on the other, I could legalize my Scout Squad for the Service Rifle matches.

Does anybody know where I could find the piece of tubing? - I have found several sources that carry the flash-hiders.

If someone were to market the barrel-extension tubing with a flash-hider already mounted on it, I bet that they would sell a lot of them to Scout Squad owners.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 09-26-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo
I recently purchased an M1A Scout Squad, thinking of participating in the Service Rifle matches.

Gloating over my new battle rifle, I glanced through the regulations concerning Service Rifle matches - and discovered that my Scout Squad was not kosher!

It was too short for the required Over-All Length (OAL) and on top of that, muzzle-brakes are not allowed in Service Rifle matches.

Seems like if I had a regular M1A flash-hider, and a 2" piece of steel tubing with the proper female threads on one end, and male threads on the other, I could legalize my Scout Squad for the Service Rifle matches.

Does anybody know where I could find the piece of tubing? - I have found several sources that carry the flash-hiders.

If someone were to market the barrel-extension tubing with a flash-hider already mounted on it, I bet that they would sell a lot of them to Scout Squad owners.
Just bought one but was looking for a scout. I'd possibly consider a trade if you're interested

Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #3

Liked 2378 Times on 1545 Posts

Find a machine shop in your area. They should be able to whip one out in no time if they have the right tap and die to cut the threads. If so, you will have to blue or finish it. A good gunsmith might be able to help you too. Any idea what thread it is?

Feral cat waterboarder