M1A Remodeling project that I started...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A Remodeling project that I started...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default M1A Remodeling project that I started...

Picked up an old synthetic or fiberglass or whatever stock for an M1a. Guy said it was a Springfield synthetic stock, but pretty sure its just an old surplus fiberglass one, but that don't much matter for my project.

Ugly but durable and functional. fits nice and snug.

Next up, i grabbed some kydex. Saw a thread on another forum that Inspired this.

Starting to take shape

Got it molded and symmetrical, but i need to remold it tomorrow (its off center slightly). heating shaping and cooling took a few tries to get used to it, and i assume the thicker stuff (.125") is a bit harder. I have yet to round off the corners, but that will be done after the thing is 100% molded.

it will be adjustable (VIA 2 carriage bolts going through the stock, and 2 slots on the actual kydex). Again thanks to the above thread for the inspiration.

checking the fit of the sling with the cheek rest in place. good to go (measured 0 times, cut once).

Got me one of these...in digital ACU....

The stock and hand-guard will get the treatment, not the actual barrel or receiver or trigger group.

Scope will likely be left alone or just wrapped with something.

A sadlak mount, as such, will be ordered as soon as I can get one back in stock at brownells or midway (C&R discount FTW!).

Main reason for this is that the wood is too pretty, and i baby it. now i'll have a plastic duracoated stock and can not worry about laying down in the dirt. Also the springfield 3rd gen mount i have sucks arse, so i'll need a new mount. the sadlak is lower but still, the adjustable cheek rest will be useful....as even slightly elevating the optics on this thing breaks the cheek weld.

I'll keep updated as i progress further! Duracoat will probably go on this coming weekend when i have a full day to dedicate to it.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 04-18-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice project. I bought a national match about a yr ago for $600.00 with 4 boxes of ammo. I understand about the wood being to pretty. Afraid to shoot it sometimes.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You know, there is something about a sweet looking M1 that still grabs my attention. SOCOM style M1a's are still sometimes used today, it's just an amazing rifle.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They're also great shooters. First time I shot mine was about 50 yds unsupported standing and putting in 1" to 1 1/2" groups. Just don't know why they retail for so much. But I guess the good guns always do.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
Nice project. I bought a national match about a yr ago for $600.00 with 4 boxes of ammo. I understand about the wood being to pretty. Afraid to shoot it sometimes.
holy crap, 600 bucks?

luckiest man alive apparently.

I'll be getting the duracoat on this weekend, picking up a 2nd synthetic stock for my buddy, he'll be painting his with me (isnt that cute?)

Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wasnt real familiar with them at the time. The guy who had it kept calling it an M16 on the phone but that it was 7.62 and I kept saying to him that that couldn't be. So when I finally saw it I knew what it was but still no idea the value. It came with the sling and ammo. Now I know. Still need to learn more about its operation and maintenance.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
I wasnt real familiar with them at the time. The guy who had it kept calling it an M16 on the phone but that it was 7.62 and I kept saying to him that that couldn't be. So when I finally saw it I knew what it was but still no idea the value. It came with the sling and ammo. Now I know. Still need to learn more about its operation and maintenance.
still the luckiest man alive.

ever.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeh I feel that way about it. One of the best additions to my collection.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #9

Well, all finished...

shot the stocks with duracoat, a dark green, and let em dry...

The guy in the video said let em sit for 3 hours between colors. i said screw that and went to town after about 45 minutes in the 90 degree sun.

masking!

Then we sprayed over the whole stock with tan, and removed the masking tape, revealing the green

Lastly we laid down the "Female" masking sheets (imagine stencils, rather than making tape) and sprayed the 3rd color. This method pretty much makes it so the "Main" color of the rifle is the middle color. You mask off what dark green you want to keep, then spray the whole thing tan, then you ADD whatever light green you want, make sense?

put everything bac together....this is my buddy's gun....came out nice.

Here's mine, with the cheek rest and the optics all on.

OVerall, VERY easy to do. it took us maybe 5 hours or so to do two rifles, and we only used 1 duracoat kit. We used a tiny bit of the second kit, and used almost all the stencils from both kits though.

So, I'm pleased with the results. once it cures up in a week or 2 i'll get all the stencil residue off of it with some solvent.

Now all i have to do is get the new scope mount....

Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Both rifles look great. Makes me want to start looking for a stock. Just don't know if I'm ready to get did of the wood. Looks awesome!!