M1A Questions...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default M1A Questions...

I had been planning to pick up an M1A in the near future...

I was set on going with a Standard or Loaded Springfield Armory M1A....even though they're hard as hell to find, haha.

I was offered an M1A with an Armscorp receiver, all other parts are USGI....also has 3 USGI mags and 200 rounds of surplus/match ammo for it...price can be discussed a little later, the follwoing questions need to be answered first...

Would this be a superior rifle to a Springfield Standard M1A....provided its in good used condition?

I don't know too much about any parts or whole rifles other than the ones made by Springfield.

Looking for any info you can offer. Thanks!!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

PM M14's rock. He's really an expert on M1A's. I had an SA M1A Scout and I loved it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You can buy any of them that suits your fancy, but you certainly won't go wrong with a Springfield.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

As far as the quality of the Armscorp vs. SAI, they are comparable. Each has an investment cast receiver.

However, the SAI has a lifetime guarantee and Armscorp is out of business.

New SAI rifles will not have USGI parts.

Was the Armscorp built by Armscorp, or did someone build it on a stripped receiver? Armscorp did use some Chinese parts on some of their rifles when the USGI stuff began drying up in the early '90s. Then a pile of Israeli surplus parts hit the market and they were USGI again.

I would suggest you have a reputable M14 armorer check it over for you. Where are you located? Pay attention to the headspace, throat erosion and muzzle wear.

I do not know what your budget is but have you looked at the LRB Arms rifles? They are the top of the line M14. And Smith Enterprise has announced they will be making receivers again (they have been using LRB for the last few years) and will have complete rifles too.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
As far as the quality of the Armscorp vs. SAI, they are comparable. Each has an investment cast receiver.

However, the SAI has a lifetime guarantee and Armscorp is out of business.

New SAI rifles will not have USGI parts.

Was the Armscorp built by Armscorp, or did someone build it on a stripped receiver? Armscorp did use some Chinese parts on some of their rifles when the USGI stuff began drying up in the early '90s. Then a pile of Israeli surplus parts hit the market and they were USGI again.

I would suggest you have a reputable M14 armorer check it over for you. Where are you located? Pay attention to the headspace, throat erosion and muzzle wear.

I do not know what your budget is but have you looked at the LRB Arms rifles? They are the top of the line M14. And Smith Enterprise has announced they will be making receivers again (they have been using LRB for the last few years) and will have complete rifles too.
Thanks for the info! I had another m14 nut (if I may call you that) tell me more or less the same stuff. Too confusing for my first M1A I think...

I have no idea about M14 armorers in my area (Las Vegas)

I guess I'll keep waiting around for a Springfield to pop up on the online, just keep things simple.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 AM   #6

Ordered a springfield Standard....

bahahaha, cant wait for it to arrive, hopefully next week.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Ordered a springfield Standard....

bahahaha, cant wait for it to arrive, hopefully next week.
Very cool. Did you get a new one, or a used one with some USGI parts?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #8

Love my Scout Squad!!
Anxious to hear the range report on the Springfield Standard.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can you get norinco M1a s down there ? I got mine for about $500.00 Cnd and put a few after market parts on it for another $200.00 like a milled guide rod Nm sights and a muzzel break and I get 1 MOA at 100 yards. The nice thing about them is that they are made with drop forged recivers not milled stock so they are stonger.I put a " Freds M14" stock on it $45.00 and this is way better than the Chinese " hard wood stock". I bought a book that tells how to acurize it. and for about $700.00 ihave a great M1A.
From Fultron armoury you can also get a fake select fire lever thatfills the slot in the original stock.
F.K.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Can you get norinco M1a s down there ? I got mine for about $500.00 Cnd and put a few after market parts on it for another $200.00 like a milled guide rod Nm sights and a muzzel break and I get 1 MOA at 100 yards. The nice thing about them is that they are made with drop forged recivers not milled stock so they are stonger.I put a " Freds M14" stock on it $45.00 and this is way better than the Chinese " hard wood stock". I bought a book that tells how to acurize it. and for about $700.00 ihave a great M1A.
From Fultron armoury you can also get a fake select fire lever thatfills the slot in the original stock.
F.K.
The ChiComs have not been imported here since about 1994. Some of the early ones suffered from poor heat treatment and had some "stretching" issues. And some of the bolts were really soft. But several companies do re-heat treating and USGI bolt conversions. The bad few gave the rest a bad reputation. The new ones you guys can get up north are excellent.

The other parts on the ChiComs are very good. One piece forged oprods, etc. Some metric threads, but no biggie. And their barrels rock.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."