M1A Questions...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A Questions...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 356
Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default M1A Questions...

I had been planning to pick up an M1A in the near future...

I was set on going with a Standard or Loaded Springfield Armory M1A....even though they're hard as hell to find, haha.

I was offered an M1A with an Armscorp receiver, all other parts are USGI....also has 3 USGI mags and 200 rounds of surplus/match ammo for it...price can be discussed a little later, the follwoing questions need to be answered first...

Would this be a superior rifle to a Springfield Standard M1A....provided its in good used condition?

I don't know too much about any parts or whole rifles other than the ones made by Springfield.

Looking for any info you can offer. Thanks!!

__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CA357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19,871
Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default

PM M14's rock. He's really an expert on M1A's. I had an SA M1A Scout and I loved it.

__________________
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
CA357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Silvertip 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Acworth, Georgia
Posts: 367
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

You can buy any of them that suits your fancy, but you certainly won't go wrong with a Springfield.

__________________
Silvertip 44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,540
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

As far as the quality of the Armscorp vs. SAI, they are comparable. Each has an investment cast receiver.

However, the SAI has a lifetime guarantee and Armscorp is out of business.

New SAI rifles will not have USGI parts.

Was the Armscorp built by Armscorp, or did someone build it on a stripped receiver? Armscorp did use some Chinese parts on some of their rifles when the USGI stuff began drying up in the early '90s. Then a pile of Israeli surplus parts hit the market and they were USGI again.

I would suggest you have a reputable M14 armorer check it over for you. Where are you located? Pay attention to the headspace, throat erosion and muzzle wear.

I do not know what your budget is but have you looked at the LRB Arms rifles? They are the top of the line M14. And Smith Enterprise has announced they will be making receivers again (they have been using LRB for the last few years) and will have complete rifles too.

__________________
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 356
Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
As far as the quality of the Armscorp vs. SAI, they are comparable. Each has an investment cast receiver.

However, the SAI has a lifetime guarantee and Armscorp is out of business.

New SAI rifles will not have USGI parts.

Was the Armscorp built by Armscorp, or did someone build it on a stripped receiver? Armscorp did use some Chinese parts on some of their rifles when the USGI stuff began drying up in the early '90s. Then a pile of Israeli surplus parts hit the market and they were USGI again.

I would suggest you have a reputable M14 armorer check it over for you. Where are you located? Pay attention to the headspace, throat erosion and muzzle wear.

I do not know what your budget is but have you looked at the LRB Arms rifles? They are the top of the line M14. And Smith Enterprise has announced they will be making receivers again (they have been using LRB for the last few years) and will have complete rifles too.
Thanks for the info! I had another m14 nut (if I may call you that) tell me more or less the same stuff. Too confusing for my first M1A I think...

I have no idea about M14 armorers in my area (Las Vegas)

I guess I'll keep waiting around for a Springfield to pop up on the online, just keep things simple.
__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 356
Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Ordered a springfield Standard....

bahahaha, cant wait for it to arrive, hopefully next week.

__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,540
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Ordered a springfield Standard....

bahahaha, cant wait for it to arrive, hopefully next week.
Very cool. Did you get a new one, or a used one with some USGI parts?
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SmokyBaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14
Default

Love my Scout Squad!!
Anxious to hear the range report on the Springfield Standard.
__________________
SmokyBaer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bracebridge,Ontario
Posts: 426
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Can you get norinco M1a s down there ? I got mine for about $500.00 Cnd and put a few after market parts on it for another $200.00 like a milled guide rod Nm sights and a muzzel break and I get 1 MOA at 100 yards. The nice thing about them is that they are made with drop forged recivers not milled stock so they are stonger.I put a " Freds M14" stock on it $45.00 and this is way better than the Chinese " hard wood stock". I bought a book that tells how to acurize it. and for about $700.00 ihave a great M1A.
From Fultron armoury you can also get a fake select fire lever thatfills the slot in the original stock.
F.K.

__________________
Fisherking is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,540
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Can you get norinco M1a s down there ? I got mine for about $500.00 Cnd and put a few after market parts on it for another $200.00 like a milled guide rod Nm sights and a muzzel break and I get 1 MOA at 100 yards. The nice thing about them is that they are made with drop forged recivers not milled stock so they are stonger.I put a " Freds M14" stock on it $45.00 and this is way better than the Chinese " hard wood stock". I bought a book that tells how to acurize it. and for about $700.00 ihave a great M1A.
From Fultron armoury you can also get a fake select fire lever thatfills the slot in the original stock.
F.K.
The ChiComs have not been imported here since about 1994. Some of the early ones suffered from poor heat treatment and had some "stretching" issues. And some of the bolts were really soft. But several companies do re-heat treating and USGI bolt conversions. The bad few gave the rest a bad reputation. The new ones you guys can get up north are excellent.

The other parts on the ChiComs are very good. One piece forged oprods, etc. Some metric threads, but no biggie. And their barrels rock.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Nobody-questions-that Kelly J Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 11-01-2009 12:03 AM
Questions about an LR-308 sjh1022 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 12 10-16-2009 01:51 AM
Questions? Grey Revolver Handguns 5 09-25-2009 09:09 PM
The VA and Their 3 Questions???? markerdown The Club House 4 06-19-2009 01:03 AM