Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Late to the party again.

Is it a good rifle? As far as an "all around rifle" it is hard to beat a good M14.

It is "AK reliable". I run several thousand rounds a year through my M14's and the only malfunctions (2) I have ever had were due to a crappy scope mount I was testing that caused a failure to eject ONE empty case. The other malfunction was due to pilot error. After cleaning I had failed to tighten down the gas plug, allowing a gas leak. This caused a "short stroke" malfunction. Figured out the problem in about 1.5 seconds and had it fixed in another 5.

When the South African 7.62x51 ammo was available for $17 per battle pack I would run 3+ BP's through my standard M1A every weekend. It ate that up and never hiccuped, in over a year. I only stopped when the SA skyrocketted in price. I still have about a dozen cases of SA, but it is being saved for a rainy day.

Most malfunctions will be caused by magazines. Use CMI's and you will not have any problems. CMI has been the ONLY M14 mag supplier to the US Military since the early '80's. They also make the magazines for Springfield Armory. Original USGI Mags are now being counterfeited, so buying CMI's from 44Mag.com is your best bet.

Any of my M14's will hold around 1.5MOA(with the ammo they like), but some will do about 1/3 that.

I find the standard M14 to be one of the most ergonomic, intuitive to operate rifles available. Recoil is completely manageable and muzzle flip is not a problem. But the Smith Enterprise Coast Guard muzzle break and the JP break are outstanding.

If you want to scope one, the easiest mount to use is the Bassett Machine. But the LRB M25 receiver cures scope mounting issues by having integrated scope mounts on the receiver. Smith Ent, Sadlak, SAI 4th Gen and a few other mounts are also excellent.

I've owned just about every battle rifle (except the SigAMT) and carbine that ever made it onto the market in the US, and I find a good M14 to be superior to all of them (if you want a single, do anything rifle).

If you have the cash get an LRB. But the SAI M1A can be had for about $1400, new, and has a lifetime guarantee. Buy a couple of spare USGI (or Beretta/M1 Garand) extractors and you should be good to go.

The M14 has the best sights ever used on a battle rifle, and the trigger can be easily made to break like a glass rod.

The M14 is a rifleman's rifle.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."