M1A Question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default M1A Question

I need advice from someone who owns/has experience with the M1A.
I need to know if it is a good rifle. How often does it jam, is it hard to stay on target (kind of a dumb question but you never know), how rare is the ammo and what kind of groups are you getting with it?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Liked 62 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

M14sRock is pretty much a local M1A expert. I have one and I love it, but he is much more experienced than me. All I can say is that .308 ammo is common, so that's a non-issue.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6555 Times on 3486 Posts
Likes Given: 489

used to own one

my opinion:

too heavy and clumsy for the round it shoots in the standard format. the springfield scout versions are better in this regard.

lots of muzzle jump. can be tamed with a good muzzle brake.

never had any jams was a very fun and reliable rifle.

the only reason i got rid of it was the weight/size issue.

.308 Winchester/7.62 NATO is a very common round with a large selection of hunting and target rounds

Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #4

This is my M1A SOCOM.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Just get one. You'll love it.

I really liked my Scout and will replace it someday, the good Lord willing.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #6

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
This is my M1A SOCOM.

Hey Lon, what sight is that your have on there? I believe it is an Aimpoint, but not sure. How far out do you shoot with it?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #7

Aimpoint COMPM3....only had it out to about 150 so far, but highly recommended. Thanks, Scott!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #8

Liked 365 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 33

As lonyaeger said M14sRock should chime in here soon and he is well versed in M14/M1A's.

In the meantime.....

I have a Springfield "Loaded" version with their Match barrel that has 1 in 11 twist and the oversize walnut stock. I've had this one since about the mid 90's. It weighs just under 11 lbs. without a loaded magazine. I don't have a problem with the weight, but maby thats just me. Actually I perfer this rifles weight. The M14/M1A is built like a brick shat house and will take quite a beating (dirt, heating etc...) and still perform well. I've put many thousands of rounds through this rifle without a hitch. The only times I had problems with jamming was when I was younger and dumber and bought and used cheap aftermarket magazines. Not the rifles fault. I only use USGI type, Springfield, and C.M.I. magzines now (mostly C.M.I.) since I got rid of the cheap unknown mags and can't recall ever a jam since then. There are other good magazines out there for this rifle but M14sRock will know more about that. My M1A will shoot 3/4" to 1" groups at 100 yards. The M1A will shoot 7.62X51 NATO as well as .308 Win. Mine seems to like the 168 gr. FMJ and particularly the 175 gr. Federal Premium Sierra Match King factory ammo. I can pick up cheap .308 Win./7.62X51 NATO for around $9.00 per box of 20. I also reload for this rifle and use the 175 SMK's. A word here about bullet weight is in order. Don't use heavier than 175 grain bullets with the stock rifle gas system as they can and will damage the gas system of this rifle. The rifle's gas system, however, can be modified to use heavier than 175 grain ammo by a competent gunsmith versed in these type of service rifles.

Their rear iron sights are IMO the best ever designed. I've had mine scoped and have gone back to the iron sights. The scope can and will go back on from time to time. M14sRock will have good info for scope mounts as well. I also threw a Harris Bi-Pod on mine for prone position shooting.

The only complaints I've herd from some is it's weight and that it is awkward to handle. But again as I said above I don't consider the weight an issue, actually for me it's a plus, and this rifle fits me like a glove. I can't understand how anyone would find this rifle awkward to handle. Oh well maby it's just me.

Last edited by mrm14; 07-09-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:45 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6555 Times on 3486 Posts
Likes Given: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
I can't understand how anyone would find this rifle awkward to handle. Oh well maby it's just me.
just personal preference. they are good rifles. i just dont like the feel. that doesnt make them bad. if i was going to pick a box fed autoloader chambered in 7.62 nato it would be the m1a.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #10

Liked 365 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
just personal preference. they are good rifles. i just dont like the feel. that doesnt make them bad. if i was going to pick a box fed autoloader chambered in 7.62 nato it would be the m1a.
Yeah, I agree with you 100%. Personal preference is a key factor in selection of a firearm. Individual ergonomics and such paly a key factor for a proper "fit" for a firearm. I myself have trouble with lighter / shorter rifles and I guess it's because of my build and personal experience good or bad. I'm kind of a knuckle dragger when it comes to pull length. It's not that I'm tall but I have a long torso and arms that would go along with that of a somewhat taller person. I think this is why this rifle fits me so well.