M1A oper rod & bolt
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1A oper rod & bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 968 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Default M1A oper rod & bolt

M1A Nat. Match. A notice to not remove stock unless absolutely necessary. So can I get the operating rod and bolt out to lube the parts? Can I get at the spring and rod guide? How far can I go with the stock on?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

This may help.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #3

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have a Springfield NM M1A. The manual says to not remove the action from the bedded stock if it can be avoided. I remove the action and barrel from the stock about once per year to completely field strip it for cleaning and lubing. In between I am pretty meticulous about cleaning my rifle after each firing session. The action and barrel can be safely removed if you do it right and are very careful. The op rod guide can be lubed without removing the barrel from the stock. You can do it by using an extension tube with your lube to reach the op rod guide from the outside. Using a flashlight helps. I use a synthetic product made by Energy Release called Gear and Chain Clear Grease. It is an aerosol lube that comes out as a liquid, and quickly turns to a clear grease. It adheres to the metal surfaces of my rifle better than any product I have tried. It is especially good for lubricating the bolt roller.
energy-release.jpg  

Last edited by BlueTurf; 07-21-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 968 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Thanks! I knew the operating rod and bolt roller needed grease, just didn't know how. Once a year did not seem enough. And, damn, I never thought to use a flashlight. a big help BT.