Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   M1A barrel scratch (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/m1a-barrel-scratch-74595/)

25-5 10-18-2012 04:19 PM

M1A barrel scratch

I have scratched the barrel of my M1A just behind the front sight. About 2.5" x 1/16". When and how, don't know. SA says to send it in for refinishing. Do I have any other choices?
It seems to have scratched easily.

Garadex 10-20-2012 05:28 AM

If it's blued there is a pen type thing to fix it.

locutus 10-29-2012 09:28 PM

Send it in. They have the tools and the know how to do it right the first time.

Chainfire 10-29-2012 09:45 PM

I don't think I would sweat over a scratch on a "battle rifle."

The only way to prevent scratches to the wood or metal is to leave it in the safe. If I am going to leave one in the safe, I would just as soon leave it in the store.

orangello 10-29-2012 09:48 PM

I may fall in the crosshairs for this, but you could get it coated, though it might not help the resale value. That could help prevent future scratches, depending on the coating.

There is a place in the vendor section that does that, CCR.

M1Anut 10-31-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire
I don't think I would sweat over a scratch on a "battle rifle."

The only way to prevent scratches to the wood or metal is to leave it in the safe. If I am going to leave one in the safe, I would just as soon leave it in the store.

I agree! The more it's used, the more scuffs you get, then you'll get it out more once you get past the pampering phase! I hated scratching my NM, but I think it might shoot better the more it gets beat up! Lol

nitestalker 10-31-2012 03:05 AM

I never let a soldier with a shiney rifle cover my back.:eek:

M14sRock 11-13-2012 04:13 AM

All of my guns wear scratches like badges of honor.

Chicks dig scars.

ronl 11-15-2012 07:56 PM

If the scratch bothers you, get some Birchwood Casey Aluminum black, clean the scratch with denatured alcohol and apply Aluminum black with a Q-tip, dry off then run a coat of oil on it and forget about it. The Aluminum Black matches a phosphate finish very well on steel. and chances are you will never notice it. My NM M1A has some dings and scratches here and there. Just so long as it hits the target I don't really care what it looks like.

25-5 11-15-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronl (Post 1015827)
If the scratch bothers you, get some Birchwood Casey Aluminum black, clean the scratch with denatured alcohol and apply Aluminum black with a Q-tip, dry off then run a coat of oil on it and forget about it. The Aluminum Black matches a phosphate finish very well on steel. and chances are you will never notice it. My NM M1A has some dings and scratches here and there. Just so long as it hits the target I don't really care what it looks like.

Thank you!
It's a NM also and the scratch is on the top. I look at it all the time. If it was from some battle or hunting it would be a story, but, it's just a dumb scratch.