Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M14 soccom 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The current USGI mags are made by Check mate Indistries (CMI). Don't get suckered into any of the "W" marked mags out there now. Most have been faked and are NOT original Westinghouse mags. You can get CMI's from 44mag.com for a great price, and from great people. They have all the good AR mags, too. Magpul, CProducts, etc.

For ammo, stick with NATO spec ball and commercial ammo less than 180gr. 150's are best. But use NATO spec if possible. Avoid any Indian ammo dated after the mid 70's. Light stuff, like 110Tap, may not cycle the action until well broken in.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #12

thanks man for the help. much obliged. as for the vltor modstock, any thoughts on that?

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky0331 View Post
thanks man for the help. much obliged. as for the vltor modstock, any thoughts on that?
I love the versatility that they give the rifle.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #14

how is the fit of the stock to the reciver on these? does it seem to affect the accuracy or the rifle? should i get it bedded in the new stock? how are the sling attachments? what type of slings go well with this stock? i'm sorry to ask so many ?'s on this darn thing, i just dont want to waste my money!

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 12-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #15

I have recently purchased an M1A Socom II. Unfortunately, because of California legislation being as ridiculous as it is, I will not have it in my possession until the morning of Christmas Eve. Damn 10 day cooling off period which I often like to refer to as period of PURE AWESOMENESS. As soon as I pick it up that morning, I plan to go straight to a federal shooting range nearby and test it out. I'll let you know how it handles.

Anyone have any suggestions on sighting/optical accessories that I might want to put on my M1A? I considered an EOTECH sight, but I have a fellow gun enthusiast that suggests I get a laser sight. What do you think? Any and all suggestions/tips are welcomed.

Last edited by LastManStanding; 12-15-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
I have recently purchased an M1A Socom II. Unfortunately, because of California legislation being as ridiculous as it is, I will not have it in my possession until the morning of Christmas Eve. Damn 10 day cooling off period which I often like to refer to as period of PURE AWESOMENESS. As soon as I pick it up that morning, I plan to go straight to a federal shooting range nearby and test it out. I'll let you know how it handles.

Anyone have any suggestions on sighting/optical accessories that I might want to put on my M1A? I considered an EOTECH sight, but I have a fellow gun enthusiast that suggests I get a laser sight. What do you think? Any and all suggestions/tips are welcomed.
Go with an Aimpoint Comp M or ML 3. Battery life measured in years, not hours. Analog switch is 100% reliable, unlike the digital switch of the Eo. And the Aimpoint does not turn itself off, like the Eo does.

I mount my Aimpoints in quick release rings. The Leupold QRW med ht is cheap, and good. And it mounts the Ap as low as possible.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Go with an Aimpoint Comp M or ML 3. Battery life measured in years, not hours. Analog switch is 100% reliable, unlike the digital switch of the Eo. And the Aimpoint does not turn itself off, like the Eo does.

I mount my Aimpoints in quick release rings. The Leupold QRW med ht is cheap, and good. And it mounts the Ap as low as possible.
So I was researching the two products and this is what I have discovered:

Battery Life: Aimpoint wins with a whopping 50,000 hour of battery life compared to the 1,000 hours of the EOTECH.

Submersion: Aimpoint can go 135ft underwater, 100ft deeper than a comparable EOTECH device.

Ease of Use: Both are fairly simple to use, but Aimpoint has an out-of-box, simplistic design.

Reticle: EOTECH wins with a 1 MOA red dot and 65 MOA encompassing circle, while the Aimpoint is a 2 MOA.

NV: Comparable EOTECH device is night vision compatible while the Aimpoint is not.

Pricing: The EOTECH (552.A65/1 model) is slightly more expensive than the Aimpoint ML3.

M14sRock, I know you suggested the Aimpoint, but I was wondering if you have any experience with the EOTECH. Since the battery life doesn't bother me and I don't plan to submerge myself anywhere near that deep in water, so I'm leaning a little towards EOTECH. I'm really hoping that I can find someone that owns both so that I may see their use side by side.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
So I was researching the two products and this is what I have discovered:

Battery Life: Aimpoint wins with a whopping 50,000 hour of battery life compared to the 1,000 hours of the EOTECH.

Submersion: Aimpoint can go 135ft underwater, 100ft deeper than a comparable EOTECH device.

Ease of Use: Both are fairly simple to use, but Aimpoint has an out-of-box, simplistic design.

Reticle: EOTECH wins with a 1 MOA red dot and 65 MOA encompassing circle, while the Aimpoint is a 2 MOA.

NV: Comparable EOTECH device is night vision compatible while the Aimpoint is not.

Pricing: The EOTECH (552.A65/1 model) is slightly more expensive than the Aimpoint ML3.

M14sRock, I know you suggested the Aimpoint, but I was wondering if you have any experience with the EOTECH. Since the battery life doesn't bother me and I don't plan to submerge myself anywhere near that deep in water, so I'm leaning a little towards EOTECH. I'm really hoping that I can find someone that owns both so that I may see their use side by side.
Sorry for the late response. Not a ton of experience with the Eo's. Plenty of my friends have used them, and all but one have switched to Ap's. And the M3 is NV compatible. Also battery life is more like 65,000 hours. They all found them to be fragile.

My issues with the Eo are the fragility of the unit, the digital switch, and the "auto shut off" (I really hate that feature). I like the reticle, and how low it sits. But an Ap can be mounted low, too. The 1MOA vs 2MOA isn't as big a deal to me. I have excellent vision, and hitting small (rabbits) targets at 300 yds is no problem with the 2MOA Ap. My buddy wears contacts and has used his Ap in 3 gun matches. He want more magnification for his 400yd plates, and he runs his M4 like a madman.

The Ap is almost indestructible, and it serves my needs perfectly. I have CompM/ML3's mounted on most of my rifles and carbines, including my 17" Mauser K98 brush gun. They are worth every penny.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #19

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Springfield M-14/M1A Magazines and ammo

I've had good luck with CMI magazines and I use mostly around 150 grain ammo, however, just tried Federal "Gold Medal Match" 175 grain Sierra "Matchking" BTHP and saw a bit tighter grouping at 500 yards than with other ammo I've used in the past. If I'm just plinking, at 100 to 200 yards, with scope off, and iron sights I mostly use inexpensive spec ball ammo around 150 grain. If you reload or get into reloding be careful about your trim height on your resized brass. The tolerances for this must be near dead on for this gun. I had heard that this action is prone to "slam fire". Mostly caused by not being carefull when reloading reguarding the trim height after resizing case. I never paid close heed to this because I have bought factory loads for my M-14's/ M1A. A few years ago a gentleman at the range I go to was shooting his M1A with his reloads and the weapon "slam fired". The gun was destroyed and the guy was very lucky with only minor shrapnel injury to his face and arm. The gun still is hanging in the rangemasters hut with a note as a reminder to BE CAREFUL WHEN RELOADING AMMUNITION.