M14 soccom 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M14 soccom 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M14 soccom 2

alright.... I am looking into dropping a lot of bank on one of these. and would like to know from you guy who have extensive experience with them what malfunctions they seem to have. as well as what loads function the best and print the best groups, what magazines feed the best, what you think of the modstock by vltor for this rifle. As well as what is thought of the eotech 550?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 AM   #2

Matt G will probably chime in here soon enough, but he is always recommending the Scout as the SOCOM tends to have issues with the gas system...but I'll let him explain.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The Socoms are good to go now.

But, if you go with a Scout, and change out the muzzle break or flash hider with a Smith Ent Vortex or Coast Guard Muzzle Break, the overall length will not be much more (about an inch) than a Socom. But you will gain a couple of inches of bbl length.

However, the Socom is pretty cool. Mine works flawlessly. Some of the early ones were "twitchy" and did not work for various reasons. My buddy got one of the bad ones.

BUT, the SAI forever warranty is about the best in the biz and they are very fast.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
The Socoms are good to go now.

But, if you go with a Scout, and change out the muzzle break or flash hider with a Smith Ent Vortex or Coast Guard Muzzle Break, the overall length will not be much more (about an inch) than a Socom. But you will gain a couple of inches of bbl length.

However, the Socom is pretty cool. Mine works flawlessly. Some of the early ones were "twitchy" and did not work for various reasons. My buddy got one of the bad ones.

BUT, the SAI forever warranty is about the best in the biz and they are very fast.
All Scout/Squads come with the Coast Guard style break.

Look into the Smith Enterprise Crazy Horse though if you can swing the extra few bucks.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
All Scout/Squads come with the Coast Guard style break.

Look into the Smith Enterprise Crazy Horse though if you can swing the extra few bucks.
SAI uses a proprietary muzzle device. Nothing wrong with it, but it is longer than the Smith Ent USCG break. You can however get the Smith Ent muzzle devices from LRB as an upgrade.

Crazy Horse rocks.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky0331 View Post
alright.... I am looking into dropping a lot of bank on one of these. and would like to know from you guy who have extensive experience with them what malfunctions they seem to have. as well as what loads function the best and print the best groups, what magazines feed the best, what you think of the modstock by vltor for this rifle. As well as what is thought of the eotech 550?
thanks for the imput guys, but this is what I am getting.... I just thought I might be able to get some more in depth info on characteristics and " attitude " of the rifle.....

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 11-22-2008, 03:16 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

They're a short, quick handing M14. Due to the shortened barrel, they suffer in the long range accuracy a little, but they still sling the 7.62x51mm and are usable out to 400 or 500 yards. The shortened gas tube and op-rod have (in the past?) caused reliability issues, as they were improperly designed. Instead, they utilize/d a chopped down standard M14 gas system.

I have no experience with the SOCOMs. I report back what I've read and been told by those that own them or have owned them. Their quality seems to be hit or miss. For every report that I hear that it is one of the nicest guns that the person owns, I get 2 reports of them being poorly functioning wastes of money.

Honestly, an extra 2 or 3 inches of muzzle length isn't much. If you're drawn to the rails, Springfield can add the rails to any fiberglass stocked M14 that you send to them. There are other companies that make less complicated rail system and/or chassis that are just as stable a platform for optics, lights, grenade launchers and TOW missiles.

I've warned 3 others against buying the SOCOMS. I've had 3 people tell me that I was right after they have to sell off a poorly functioning rifle for half of what they paid for it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:43 AM   #8

wheb you say reliability issues what do you mean? failure to cycle, feed extract, and or eject? the rails are not the selling point, but the shortness is. i know from personal experience that those couple of inches can go a long way in a house or building. as far as optisc go it seems maybe aim point is the way to go? i thought about an acog but in CQB, it is a little bit of a hinderence.... due to magnification. any thoughts....

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

Old 11-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #9

The Gas system on the Socom is the same as on other M14's. The difference is in the gas port, the hole in the bbl that allows the gas to bleed off and cycle the action. The Socom gas port is a larger diameter than the standard M14's.

This led to some misconceptions about the Socom initially. I was not a fan of the Socom when it was introduced, but the problems with the early Socoms have been ironed out. One of the big problems seemed to stem from the cast bolts that SAI was using. They have now gone back to forged bolts.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #10

so what type and or brand of ammo cycles through theas things best? and which "high" capacity mags fees the best?