Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   M14 Price (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/m14-price-72316/)

Sibil 09-12-2012 09:49 PM

M14 Price

Im not considering a M14 but why the price is so high?, comparing to others rifle in that category, what make special this rifle?

tacticalfun 09-12-2012 09:53 PM

Erm...because theyre freaking amazing.

25-5 09-12-2012 11:24 PM

Got a few hundred thru my M1A (M14). My rifles have always been bolt action This new world is a gas. What a battle rifle.

Axxe55 09-12-2012 11:34 PM

spend some time at the range with one, then you will understand!:D

owned a M1A many years ago, and it's one of the few that i ever regret getting rid of. i would trade my AR for an M1A in a second!:eek:

gearguy 09-12-2012 11:50 PM

I picked up my uncle's M14 standard and was on steel at 400 open sights in the first five shots. They are amazing.

hawkguy 09-13-2012 12:52 AM

i asked the same question on another forum.

i'm sure they are amazing....but i still don't understand the high price myself.

does wood, plastic, or steel cost more to assemble an m-14 vs a different rifle? the answer may be "higher quality/craftsmanship," but i never got real proof that proved this was the case. AND as a bonus....you get very expensive ammo! :p

that being said, you RARELY hear bad things about them.

i would love to own an m-14/m1a, but the gun has "priced itself out" as far as i'm concerned. i'll live with my mini 14 at about 1/3 the price.

SSGN_Doc 09-13-2012 01:05 AM

It is in the manufacturing cost to some degree. Milled, forged steel (or even well made cast) receivers with complex angles are kind of expensive to make. The intermediate piston and operating rod, the trigger mechanism, the sights are all a bit more complex in machining than some more modern designs.

Then barrel fitting headspacing, stock making, and more involved in hand assembly.

$1200ish for a stock standard model at the local shop by me isn't too crazy a price, compared to ARs.

primer1 09-13-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
It is in the manufacturing cost to some degree. Milled, forged steel (or even well made cast) receivers with complex angles are kind of expensive to make. The intermediate piston and operating rod, the trigger mechanism, the sights are all a bit more complex in machining than some more modern designs.

Then barrel fitting headspacing, stock making, and more involved in hand assembly.

$1200ish for a stock standard model at the local shop by me isn't too crazy a price, compared to ARs.

You hit the bullseye. Labor is why. Time= money.

Rarity 09-13-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibil (Post 938305)
Im not considering a M14 but why the price is so high?, comparing to others rifle in that category, what make special this rifle?

It's a great rifle, and a very reliable one.

locutus 09-13-2012 03:44 PM

It's a very good rifle. I have owned a National Match version in the past.

But in my opinion, the AR-10 platform is far superior, and less expensive.

I currently have a DPMS LR308 AP4. I am completely satisfied with it.