Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M14/M1A "SlamFire" KABOOOOM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It's hard to kill an M14/M1A with just a "Hot" load alone. These rifles are somewhat sensitive to primer seating depth (I seat my primers .004" or more deep past flush with the head),case trim height (I trim my brass for the M1A to minimun SAMMI spec height for every reload) I Keep my shouldr clearance at minimum of .003" off the chamber and the bullet at least .004" off the lands. I use small base dies as well. The M14/M1A and the M1 Garrands have a relitively loose chambers and the speed of these rifles actions, in stock configuration, really beats up the brass. These are some of the things that you really have to watch when reloading for these rifles.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Very likely a high primer that went off before the action was fully locked.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #13

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I know this sounds simple. But, you have to wonder if this guy was properly cleaning his primer pockets. I could see that leaving a primer exposed.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Normally the amount of carbon left behind in a primer pocket is not enough to leave a high primer. 7.62 NATO brass has crimped primer pockets, most of the time. If the crimp is not properly removed, the new primer will not seat properly.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

There was some additional info on a couple of other boards about this. It seems the shooter had what could be described as a squib. He manually ejected the "fired" case and chambered a new rd which was probably stopped from going all the way into battery by the bullet from the previous squib. He never checked for a bore obstruction prior to chambering the new rd even though he only had a small "pop" with a hissing sound on the rd before.

Good thing nobody was hurt, but pity about his rifle.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #16

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

More info on this mishap posted by another person that shoots regularly at Sac. Valley.

I was at the range today and talked with Larry the AGM, and took a close look at the rifle. Larry said he pulled a couple bullets and weighed the powder charge and it was 46gr +. Whether it was actually Varget or not is not known. The person who did the reloading said it was, but we know that people have loaded the wrong powder before.

The barrel split on the breech end on both sides where there is a machined groove. The split on on one side is about 1/8" wide, and both splits go forward about 2 inches or so. The case is still in the chamber minus the case head. The threaded end of the barrel is now shorter than when it left the factory as the rear most part of the chamber is missing about 1/8"-1/4". There is no obstruction in the barrel now, and the barrel does not appear to be bulged from having had one.

In all likelihood the person doing the reloading ran more than a few highly over charged rounds through the rifle until it could take no more and went KABOOM. Unless he filled his cases with pistol powder I highly doubt just one over charged round could do this. If it was a slam fire or OOB, the bolt would have blown off but the chamber should have maintained integrity because once the bolt was blown back there would have been a drastic reduction of chamber pressure with nothing to contain it.

But, as has already been said, this why care must be taken when making up hand loads, and why manuals list maximum loads.

Last edited by mrm14; 07-08-2010 at 06:35 PM.