Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M14/M1A "SlamFire" KABOOOOM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default M14/M1A "SlamFire" KABOOOOM

On July 4th at the shooting range I go to a fellow was trying some of his reloads in his M1A and this happened.

MobileMe Gallery

The guy, as far as I know, wasn't severly hurt but did have a piece of the rifle stock in is face. It was reported that the shooter who reloaded his own ammo was using Varget. Upon dissassembly on one of his rounds, it was discovered that he had 46+ grains of powder in his load. IMO, I believe that the charge of powder wasn't the cuase of this mishap, rather the typical reloading problems associated with the Garrand actions that can cause "SlamFire" or OOB (out of battery) discharge.

With the M14/M1A as well as the M1 Garrands (probably more so with M1's) "SlamFire" can be attributed in most all cases to hand loaded ammo errors.

Heres an article that I dug up that goes over the do's and dont's for reloading for the M14/M1A. http://www.m14.ca/reloading/14_loading.pdf

Last edited by mrm14; 07-06-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That sucks. BTW, I shoot at Sac Valley.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Holy Hell!!!

I have heard of this happening, but I had never seen the aftermath of it. That guy is SERIOUSLY lucky to be alive. There are a lot of pieces to what used to be, presumably, a nice weapon.

Thanks for posting!

JD

Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
That sucks. BTW, I shoot at Sac Valley.
This guy was a guest at the range and one of the members of NCPPRC was setting up his chrono next to him when it happened. It was reported on their webb site. I wasn't there (Thank God) to see this as I have seen it before. Not a pretty sight. The guy was lucky that he wasn't life flighted out.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #5

Just curious mrm14 did you used to be an artillerymen? Just wondering because of your "out of battery" comment

Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Holy hell!

and I built a 458SOCOM so I can get into reloading why? I'm gonna need to do a whole lot a reading and researching before i feel comfortable taking up reloading.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 07-06-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Holy hell!

and I built a 458SOCOM so I can get into reloading why? I'm gonna need to do a whole lot a reading and researching before i feel comfortable taking up reloading.
Don't let this post stop you from reloading your own ammo. Just be vigilant about being accurate with your reloading techniques.

I've put over 40,000 rounds through my M1A and approxmently 8,000 rounds have been my own reloads without hitch. I'm somewhat anal retentive when it comes to reloading my own ammo. Probably because I'm looking for accuracy but saftey is forefront also in there as well. Particularly for this type of action. AR's have some similar and their own issues when it comes to the ammo you feed them particulary if you are reloading your own and reading and researching your rifle in this area of reloading your own is a good idea. But don't let this post stop you from reloading your own ammo.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #8

This isn't just for the M1A it goes for any weapon. I've been out duck hunting with a guy who had loaded his shells a lil too hot. Well he went to shoot a duck and his barrel mushroomed which in return knocked him to the ground. And the stupid ****** stood back up said he thinks something is wrong with his gun and told me to shoot it. I still have a brain so I just laughed at him and told myself well this was the last time I'm going hunting with you.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Holy hell!

thats a rare occurance. its also why most if not all reloading manuals say start on the low end and work your way up carefully. 458 socom is very similar o the 45-70 and some of the lower end 458 winmag loads.

assuming the bullet used was a 168grn my speer manual shows that 46grn charge is over max for everything cept one powder. without knowing the bullet and powder type its hard to tell. but my guess the shooter liekly did not triple check his gear and just cranked out ammo without spot checking.

powder settling air pressure miniscule changes from can to can in even the same batch can lead to drastically different charge weights. every time i load i check the first ten loads to make sure the powder measure is throwing the right charge. once im comfy i spot check every 20 rounds or so to make sure settling in the measure hasnt occured.

handloading is one hobby where being anal retentive on safety is a plus.

ive loaded and fired prolly close to 50-60k rounds with only one incident of a round getting buy without a charge. had to pound the bullet out of my sig 220. ive caught plenty of overcharged rounds and spent hours with bullet puller.

just a few qc measures will keep you safe.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats just...damn...

I want to be a ball turret gunner.