M14/M1A or AR15 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion >

M14/M1A or AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yeah that is basically what I wanted, is a cross between a rifle and a carbine. Would the longer barrel really make that big of a difference in range though? I am placing bets on the Soc though, it's probably what I will go for.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My AR15 has a twenty four inch barrel with a 1:8 twist so it shoots some heavier .223 rounds, and I am willing to put money on it that it will shoot pretty accurately past 400 yards. I am ecstatic with it so far. Alot cheaper than a Socom. My .02$

Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The .223/5.56x45 (yes, I know there's a slight difference) was designed for use on man sized targets inside of 200 yards, 300 being about max for anti-personnel use on a 200lb man.

On the other hand, the 7.62x51 was made to be effective out to around 1000 yards, being a slightly shortened version of the .30-'06, which came from a time when popular war knowledge had folks regularly engaging enemies out to 500+ yards, and 200 yards was considered the range at which one affixed bayonets.

"Use enough gun" always applies.

Josh

Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #14

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake48 View Post
Yeah that is basically what I wanted, is a cross between a rifle and a carbine. Would the longer barrel really make that big of a difference in range though? I am placing bets on the Soc though, it's probably what I will go for.
Not a big dif in the 500-600 range. Get the Soc. If you plan on 800-1000, get a full length 22".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #15

After looking around for a good m14/m1a I found that there are barely if any at all good m1a's in my city, I can't find any USGI makes. They all seem to be made by springfield armory apparently scheels and cabela's must have some deal with them, and they all seem to range about the same price as I previously saw ~1600-2000. Should I go with the SA series, and buy a new extractor since they aren't too expensive, or should I look harder for more choices from a place like gun broker. I would prefer new and get a slightly used extractor to replace the new one, or a USGI one, so the gun won't choke up on the cheaper 7.62x51mm rounds.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #16

You won't find a USGI receiver. They will all be commercial. But USGI parts are avail.

Look on Gun Broker and you will see lots of choices. If you've seen Socoms for $1600, I'd say buy one. Find out if the Seller has the Throat Erosion and Muzzle wear measurements. The lower the number, the better.

SAI makes a great product, but they have not managed to figure out how to mkae extractors. Hmm... Buy a couple of USGI, new or used, just in case.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #17

Thanks a lot for the input. I will look for some receivers, and found they aren't too expensive, neither are extractors for that matter, so will people still have the throat erosion and muzzle wear measurement if the gun is new? I have read a few things about m14's yesterday and I just want to make sure that when I buy this gun that I get the best bang for my buck because they are a little pricey but well worth it, from what my other friends are saying that own a variant.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the input. I will look for some receivers, and found they aren't too expensive, neither are extractors for that matter, so will people still have the throat erosion and muzzle wear measurement if the gun is new? I have read a few things about m14's yesterday and I just want to make sure that when I buy this gun that I get the best bang for my buck because they are a little pricey but well worth it, from what my other friends are saying that own a variant.
If the rifle is new, the TE/MW will be anywhere from 0 to about 3, each. Don't sweat that if it is new.

Buy an SAI Socom, and try it out. If it has any problems SAI will fix it for free and send it back. They even pay shipping both ways. Once you get it back it will run perfectly. That is a worst case scenario.

You will LOVE that rifle.

Get a set of Superior Shooting Systems chrome silicon springs, and a Sadlak NM spring guide. Buy the extractors, and maybe a spare USGI hammer and you should be set.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #19

What type of scope would you suggest by the way? Since it's going to be some distance 5/600 more than a 4x presumably.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #20

Quote:
What type of scope would you suggest by the way? Since it's going to be some distance 5/600 more than a 4x presumably.
I'd try a low powered variable. 1.5-6X ish. But a 4x EER would be fine, too. I was shooting squirrels out to almost 400 yards a while back and never put my scope above 6X, on my Savage .223. Quality is far more important than magnification.

Look at the Basset Machine Low Picatinny mount. You won't beat it. SEI, Sadlak, McCann, SAI Gen4, Brookfield are all great mounts. But the Basset is 100% repeatable and costs $150.

Avoid SAI Gen1,2&3. Avoid ProMag. Avoid all the cheap crap.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI