Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M14/M1A or AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M14/M1A or AR15

Here are my picks. This will mainly be used for longer range at least up too 300 or 400 yards. Maybe for hunting but also for range shooting, either one would use a scope at least at 4x both semi-auto. Ammo price doesn't seem nearly that bad for the difference of .308/7.62 x 51mm or .223/5.56mm
The main difference I have noticed are AR15's are significantly cheaper than M1A's but I am leaning towards an M1A because it could be used at semi-long range and a lot further ranges. Also the difference between AR 15's and newer M14/M1A's particularly the SOCOM's and the SOCOM II's besides the ridiculous amount of modifications you can put on AR's and M14/M1A's picks? Choices? I love my .22 semi-auto to death, but I wanted a larger caliber that is semi-auto and ammo (even for how much it is now) that won't break the bank.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #2

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

If you decide to go with .308 you might look at AR-10s and clones too.

IMO I'd go with a good AR in 5.56. Definitely cheaper for the rifle and ammo, and does fine out to 400 yards.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-06-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

personally for 300+ i would go m1a or socom 2. i love they way they look and they are amazing rifles.

i personally am buildin a ar-15 right now for 150 yards and closer. but i will definatly be buying or building a m1a for the longer ranges and hunting purposes. just my .02

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

No comparison. M14.

AR's are great, but if you will be using it at 300-400 regularly the M14 is the better choice.

The Socom is awesome, and easily capable of 500-600, BTW.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #5

Is there a huge difference between SOCOM and SOCOM II? Besides the price. I haven't seen a big one yet not in terms of barrel length or different type of barrel, etc...?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake48 View Post
Is there a huge difference between SOCOM and SOCOM II? Besides the price. I haven't seen a big one yet not in terms of barrel length or different type of barrel, etc...?
The "Deuce" comes with the rails. That is the only dif.

I prefer the Soc to the Deuce. Heavy enough already. And the Soc has the short forward rail mounted as well.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

What would you say a reasonable price is for a decent m14 or new? I have seen the range of $900 (for an older one) and $2000 for the new SOCOM II which I probably wont get. I will most likely get a SOCOM as long as I can get a scope on it.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #8

Prices are all over the place. Look for one that has a high "USGI Parts Count".

All Springfield Armory M1A's come with a no strings lifetime guarantee, so they are a good bet. But the Cadillac of M14's is made my LRB Arms.

Best bang for the buck will be Armscorp or a GOOD (USGI) Federal Ordnance.

SAI is the only one currently doing a 16" and that is the Socom. Plan on spending $1500 to $2000. Buy a couple of spare USGI extractors (Or Beretta). M1 Garand extractors are cheap, and work fine.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #9

Then there is no need for a longer barrel than 16" I am guessing since there are SOCOM's that were made a little bit larger, but the need for more velocity is probably minimal with a longer barrel and they are heavy enough as you said. Another thing is I saw older wooden ones, not fired at all, but they just had an older look to them, made purely from wood and had longer barrels. I don't have any picture with me, the only difference was it had a wooden stock and one rail on the top unlike the SOCOM, and other models. Is there a real difference between these? I will look for some LRB's and SAI's I want my first M14/M1A to be pretty good and top quality. I have never owned a larger semi-auto what exactly do the extractor pins do? Or what are they for?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake48 View Post
Then there is no need for a longer barrel than 16" I am guessing since there are SOCOM's that were made a little bit larger, but the need for more velocity is probably minimal with a longer barrel and they are heavy enough as you said. Another thing is I saw older wooden ones, not fired at all, but they just had an older look to them, made purely from wood and had longer barrels. I don't have any picture with me, the only difference was it had a wooden stock and one rail on the top unlike the SOCOM, and other models. Is there a real difference between these? I will look for some LRB's and SAI's I want my first M14/M1A to be pretty good and top quality. I have never owned a larger semi-auto what exactly do the extractor pins do? Or what are they for?
It depends on what you want to do with it. The 16" is fine or most applications, frankly.

18.5" and 22" are for longer ranges. But the 16" will get you to 500 with room to spare.

What do you want to do with it? If it is to cross the lines between a rifle and carbine, the Soc does it very well..

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI