Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1 Carbine for SHTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M1 Carbine for SHTF

I was looking at my dad's M1 carbine the other day, which was my first time ever holding one, and while fondling it a bit, a thought occurred to me. The rifle is very light, fires a pretty decent round, and the ammo is fairly small and lightweight(so more could be carried), and have 30 round magazines.

So it go me thinking whether it would be a good option for SHTF. I know it's not very popular round, so I couldn't find ammo in many places, but let's take ammo availability out of the picture for a minute. So not including ammo availability, what's everyone's opinion on the M1 carbine for SHTF. To be honest, I really know nothing of the rifle. I'd love to shoot my dad's, but he's more of a gun collector than a shooter and not sure that he'd go for it.

Also, I know there are a few different companies that make them, what are the good ones?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #2

Just googled "top shtf rifles", just to do a little research on the subject, and one of the links that popped up was for "SHTF blog's Top Ten BEST Guns for Survival". I haven't even read through the whole list yet, because after reading #10, I had to stop for a minute so I could finish laughing. Then I posted it here. #10 for the list read:

NUMBER TEN – The Mighty Barrett .50 BMG

LOL! Okay, okay, I kicked this list off with the Barrett just because. I don’t own one and I wouldn’t buy one, but I’ll tell you what, if SHTF, and you have one, you’re on my side.

For some reason I just found that hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. And the funny thing is, he has a point.

Here's the link:

SHTF blog’s Top Ten BEST Guns for Survival

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Learn to take everything on the internet--especially anything gun-related--with a big grain of salt. Hell, take that last sentence with a grain of salt :P . If you like researching, you'll eventually develop decently sound lines of logic to help you make informed decisions, both based on the capabilities of firearms and on your realistic need for them. As a quick example, most people will say a pistol is hardly more useful than fighting your way to a rifle, and that rifles are always the primary. Well, if all you've got is a rifle and it's in the trunk while you go into walmart for some last-minute supplies, it's not going to do you much good when you get trapped in a riot inside the store. So, just think about your needs, your abilities, and your resources (don't spent a fortune on a gun and never be able to afford to practice, don't buy a 1000yd long-range rifle if all you have nearby is a 30yd indoor range, etc).

As far as the M1 carbine. Eh. They seem to have mediocre mechanical reliability, are very expensive for quality ones, and like you said, fire a moderate round that is not that readily available. If I were looking for a low-recoil close-range carbine, I'd take a modern 9mm carbine every day of the week over an M1.

The Beretta CX4 Storm is probably my favorite. This one takes M92 magazines so you have options for reliable 20-30rd mags if you wanted. It is on the more expensive side of 9mm carbines, but it it is still probably less expensive than a quality M1.

Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine 9mm 15 round w/Top Rail $689.00 SHIPS FREE

Additionally, for the same money you could just get an AR also .

Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

M1 carbine is a great choice. People tell you that a 110gr bullet at 1980 FPS is a weenie rd, but the same guys will tell you that a 110gr .357Mag at 1450 FPS is the shizzle.

A friend of mine used one in Vietnam and said the round never failed him. It remains one of his favs.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Being a glider pilot my uncle was issued a M-1 Carbine for all 3 of his european landings. he told me the first thing he did after landing was to take a dead soldier's M-1 Rifle & ammo & destroy his carbine as they were useless. Especially with ball ammo. You would do better with a Mini 14 than the M-1 Carbine.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Last edited by armsmaster270; 09-12-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Idk about the ar15 being number one.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

You could do worse than the M-1 Carbine. The round is considered underpowered with Ball ammo. You are not confined to Ball ammo. Decent soft point ammo or handloads with the 100 gr "Plinker" bullet are very formidable on soft skinned targets.

For the most part all M-1 Carbines are mechanically the same except for the Universal brand. They are not built on the GI blueprints and have almost no parts interchangeability with the GI versions.

A Mini-14, especially a newer one, would be superior. An AR 15 would be very superior.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

A free M1 carbine trumps a not-yet-paid-for rifle. It's great for what it is, but I'd go AR-15. If you like the M1 platform, get a Garand or M1A (or Mini-14).

Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

The only issues ive ever had with my various m1 carbines over the years is finding good magazines. Most are utter crap. If a carbine is having jamming issues its almost always mag related.

As said above its in the same perfomance area as a 357 pistol. Just dont fool yourself to think your getting rifle performance out of one.

The carbine was designed to replace the 1911 in certain support roles and was never originallyintended to serve as a true combat rifle. Shortages of m1 garands pressed itinto front line service whereit was a reliable if pathetic performer at longer ranges.

In general Troops that fought in more open terrain hated it those that foight in urban combat and vehicle crews loved it.

Would it be my choice?? Not unless all my other firearms were broken. They are only about 100 yard guns and thats stretching it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Assuming I was not having to do an urban 'run and gun' full on battle, I think the M1-carbine is a good choice for a easily portable weapon for usage as an emergency hunting, defensive, and if need be offensive in close range rifle.

On another site, there was a video posted of the French Foriegn Legion and they were using the M1 carbine as a primary close quarter offensive weapon due to the effiicient energy transfer of the blunt round over the more powerful rounds in situations of 30 yard encounters.

If as a civilian, I was being emergency 'mobilized' for full offensive operations but had to supply my own weapon, I would grab my M14. It has the range and knockdown power for a MBR situation and is also NATO compatible.

If the SHTF and I was anticipating having to be on my own for a significant amount of time without anticipation of the restoration of civil services, then I would still be concerned on ammo but assuming I only needed a lighter duty weapon that was still capable of being 'offensive' if needed, I would grab my Mini-14 as it still uses a NATO round and can be most likely be scrounged or borrowed, yet still can mess up someones day at 300 yrds and is a bit lighter to pack around.

If I was just packing up my family and a few belongings for a short disruption of social society and wanted to grab a rifle cause I may have need for it in an emergency (say a major earthquake such as the Japan disaster), My 1943 Standard Products Carbine with a couple 30 round magazines and current SP rounds would not leave me feeling exposed and is easy to transport, use, clean, and is a proven war veteran that is dependable and effective within it's design limits.

Regardless.... it is nice to have choices!

Last edited by jismail; 09-12-2011 at 05:14 PM.