M1 Carbine Issue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1 Carbine Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M1 Carbine Issue

I have a M1 Carbine, it has a scope mounted on it. Now I don't remember having this problem shooting my uncles M1 Carbine as a kid. He recently passed and I was left all his guns. So I cleaned them all and took them to the range.

When the M1 Carbine ejects the rounds, they are almost going straight up and hitting the scope mount and bouncing back down in the chamber. It will do this every 2-4 shots. I was wondering what exactly I should be checking out as the cause of the problem.

‘‘You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.’’ — Charles A. Beard

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Probably nothing wrong with it, they are meant to be used with iron sights not scoped.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #3

I agree, my uncle was in a wheel chair and used the M1 Carbine as a hunting rifle he could handle easy. I don't recall it ever having these ejection problems though. I may bring it to a smith and have him put iron sights on it.

‘‘You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.’’ — Charles A. Beard

Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #4

Must be a commercial cabine ?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #5

I am not positive. I know its was bought in the 60's and had some smith work done to get the scope mount on it. When I broke down the gun completely and cleaned it, it had some type of glass product under the scope mount to hold it in place.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #6

There has to be some stamping on it somewhere.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #7

Yeah I will have to look at it, its locked up in brother in-law's gun safe right now and I don't recall the combination. I only have my 1911 at hand at the moment. Only thing I know right now that i was made by P.M.C. (Plainfield Machine Company) And it must be fairly old as I cannot find any copyright date for anything anywhere on the Operation and Instruction manual.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 AM   #8

Thats a commercial copy, not USGI. I wouldnt put alot of money in it as real nice USGI cabines can be bought now for $500.00

Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #9

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Here is some info on your Plainfield Carbine.

Plainfield Machine Co.

Jim.......................

Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litzner View Post
When the M1 Carbine ejects the rounds, they are almost going straight up and hitting the scope mount and bouncing back down in the chamber. It will do this every 2-4 shots. I was wondering what exactly I should be checking out as the cause of the problem.
That's not a problem, that's apparently a feature. See this video:

You can see the spent cartridges falling next to him.

9x18=Makarov