m1 carbine for home defense? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > m1 carbine for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Feeding issues ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
All of them I've ever seen had feeding problems, including the one "my uncle" issued to me.
You mean you had one in active duty in the military that wouldn't feed good? And they didn't fix it for you?

Maybe this is just my perception, but I think a lot of the current issues with Carbines are ones that haven't had any maintenance for years. I have two IAI commercial reproduction carbines which are 100% compatible with all GI parts. Both feed perfectly from good mags. I found all I had to do to get one of my carbines feeding 100% was to replace the extractor, ejector and their two springs in a 60+ year old GI bolt. Less than $15 for the parts. Magazines can be problematic, but good ones are available on Cheaper Than Dirt for $8 each.

I too, have a 12 gauge in the bedroom (M2 Benelli). And I am not currently using either of the carbines for home defense. I did put an Ultimak rail on one of them and am hoping to put an Aimpoint Red Dot on it when the budget allows. With 5 year battery life on those Red Dots they are a great set up for defense. I had an Aimpoint on another rifle recently, and really liked it.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #52

Default Video - new Hornady Critical Defense .30 Carbine load

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname View Post
"
I couldn't find any frangible ammo in .30 Carbine, but there are good options for defensive ammo that does feed fine. CorBon DPX 100 grain, Hornady Critical Defense is another, and BVAC makes a soft point that feeds great in my Carbines. There are several other soft points on the market that supposedly feed well, but I only have tried the BVAC.
Just found this link to the promo video for the Hornady Critical Defense .30 Carbine load on the M1carbine forum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tquUyY74O6Y

Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6528 Times on 3641 Posts
Likes Given: 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname View Post
Just found this link to the promo video for the Hornady Critical Defense .30 Carbine load on the M1carbine forum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tquUyY74O6Y
Might be worth a try!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #54

M1 carbine for SD, ah no. That's all I have to say about that.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #55

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The M-1 .30 Carb was the American version of the M-16 thru 3 wars and 100s of armed conflicts. The little rifle jumped out of airplanes fought in the tropics and the deserts. The M-2 select fire flat bolt was a great urban war fare weapon for military and civilans. It was and is a very dependable compact rifle.
The M2's and later manufactured M1's had round bolts. The M2 used the heavier round bolt to lower the rate of fire.

Jim........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The few M1 carbines I have fired have had feeding and stovepiping issues. One was made by Singer, another by IBM and I forget who made the other 2 or 3. Given that if I did own one it would not be in the first accessible layer in the safe. I keep a S&W revolver and a couple of Glocks ready for HD, but if you are under 21 I would say that a shotty would be your best choice for HD. Take a look at them. My first shotty was a Mossberg 500 and I still have it. They sell them now with an 18 inch barrell for HD and a longer barrel for range time or hunting. Good all around shotgun that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, plus ammo is reasonable to boot.
Singer never made M1 Carbines, they did however, make 500 1911s.

Jim......

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #57

I think the US 30 Cal. M1 Carbine would be a great choice for a handy little home defense carbine. I love mine.....................

Jim.............

Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #58

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Better read up on the M1 Carb. The changing of the flat and round bolt had nothing to do with strength. Just another Urban legend. The change was made to cut the machineing cost for the contractors. The changing of the nice contured stocks to the bulky ugly heavy ones was to take the M-2 hammering.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #59

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

If you like the M1 style rifle, why not a Mini 14 Tactical? You can put a red dot on it with no magnification for close quarters work on out to 50 or 100 yards depending on dot size. The gun itself is fairly compact (especially the 16.5" Tactical model) and handles well. You have magazines in 5, 10, 20 and 30-round capacity and it's in a significantly more affordable caliber (5.56 or .223). Not to mention the .223 doesn't have as much risk of severe over-penetration, therefore there's less risk of a bullet going where you don't want it to.

Just my 2 cents.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #60

heymatthew - You bring up some very good points. Especially the one about less over-penetration with the right ammo in 5.56/223, as compared to .30 Carbine. For example the 60 grain Winchester Ranger soft point loads have been shown to disintegrate into fragments which barely get through 3 pieces of Sheetrock. I have had a 16" Mini-14 and the things I don't care much for are the 16" barrel muzzle blast, and that the Mini seems kind of "nose heavy" to me. I attribute that to the long steel op rod which extends all the way to the front of the forearm. Ruger did away with the Gas Piston need in their design of the Mini-14, but the op rod got to be much more massive than it is in the M1 Carbine which is substantially lighter. On Perfect Union there was a long running thread about how much your Mini weighed. I had one of the lighter ones and it was still well over 8 lbs with an 7 oz Aimpoint 4000SC Red Dot and a kydex cheek piece.
Anyway I realize that a 5.56 rifle is an excellent choice for home defense needs. I guess if I were to go down that path for a home defense weapon it would probably be an lightweight barrel AR just for its handling characteristics.