m1 carbine for home defense? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > m1 carbine for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #41
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think that the M1-Carb is one of the most forgotten weapons of all time. It small, compact with a high-cap mag of ammo that can do a pretty good job. I have seen some upgrades that get it to pretty much what the AR is today. Yeah, the more I look at the AR, the more I see the niche where the M1-Carb might have fit. Politics are funny.

ARMY VET - DV - NRA Life Member - Holmesburg Fish & Game
Artillery lends a bit of dignity to what otherwise would be just a savage brawl......

Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #42

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I don't think the M1 Carb is a forgotten rifle. They are a hot item. The price of these guns has gone out of sight. A Winchester M1 Carb that sold for $20 bucks back in the 1960s is now $2,000 dollars.

They are fun little firearms. The M1 Carb. just loves cast bullets. The Carb. can be loaded with wheel weight metal and they shoot like a dream. I enjoy taking my Quality Hardware M1 out in the desert and just plinking.

The little rifle with FMJ bullets would shoot thru most modern homes. That is something to consider in a home defense weapon.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #43

"The little rifle with FMJ bullets would shoot thru most modern homes. That is something to consider in a home defense weapon."

Over-penetration is the one objection to the M1 Carbine for a home defense weapon which seems to me to be valid. Even with soft points the bullets could go through a lot of Sheetrock walls. Of course the same could be said about many pistol rounds. If this is an issue where you live, there are better options that the M1 Carbine, or a pistol for that matter.
If not, an M1 Carbine with softpoints would seem to be a good choice.

Last edited by myname; 11-19-2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: correct spelling typo

Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #44

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Lead bullets would penetrate less, wouldn't they? One would think they would deform and flatten pretty quickly, causing them to slow down through barriers.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #45
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

There are several makers of frangible/non-exiting rounds that may be of some use.
DRT, Extreme Shock and Glaser may be good places to start. These give much penetration, and NO I repeat NO pass-thru. I'm in the process of testing candidates for my HD ammo.

Artillery lends a bit of dignity to what otherwise would be just a savage brawl......

Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8466 Times on 4903 Posts
Likes Given: 11028

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Lead bullets would penetrate less, wouldn't they? One would think they would deform and flatten pretty quickly, causing them to slow down through barriers.
Not so much as you might think. as I sift through the dirt that is my backstop I find quite a lot of intact bullets there. More than one might expect. Of course I have no way of knowing what each bullet hit or passed through before coming to a rest, but it is still a lot more than I would expect. Granted, I shoot a wide variety of different stuff so there is little consistency in the given projectiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
There are several makers of frangible/non-exiting rounds that may be of some use.
DRT, Extreme Shock and Glaser may be good places to start. These give much penetration, and NO I repeat NO pass-thru. I'm in the process of testing candidates for my HD ammo.
Are these projectiles available in loaded ammunition for a .30 Carbine? I thought that all you could get for a .30 carbine is FMJ ball ammo (I don't have one so I have no idea what is available).

(EDIT) And aren't the .30 carbines notorious for feeding problems? I figure a non round-nose bullet would exacerbate the problem.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #47
rab
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

For what it's worth, I have finally got to test the Speer Lawman 45's in 185gr's. The company cautions that they are "for training only". Accuracy was good. The gun digested them well, in spite of their shape(UMC). Very clean. Speer claims that the "Gold Dots" will have the same point of impact. I'll have time to do that tomorrow. I don't mean to waste your time, but Some of your questions were along the same path as mine. Whatever I find, I'll try to share with you. I personally, don't want to "not answer" to my own questions, let alone yours.....SO, is Speer that disintegrating round that we seek?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #48

"Are these projectiles available in loaded ammunition for a .30 Carbine? I thought that all you could get for a .30 carbine is FMJ ball ammo (I don't have one so I have no idea what is available).

(EDIT) And aren't the .30 carbines notorious for feeding problems? I figure a non round-nose bullet would exacerbate the problem. "

I couldn't find any frangible ammo in .30 Carbine, but there are good options for defensive ammo that does feed fine. CorBon DPX 100 grain, Hornady Critical Defense is another, and BVAC makes a soft point that feeds great in my Carbines. There are several other soft points on the market that supposedly feed well, but I only have tried the BVAC.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5938 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 5502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
(EDIT) And aren't the .30 carbines notorious for feeding problems? I figure a non round-nose bullet would exacerbate the problem.
All of them I've ever seen had feeding problems, including the one "my uncle" issued to me.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #50
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby View Post
My opinion is it is too much gun for home defense. I have an Armalite .308 and even with soft hollow points it's going through several walls. Perhaps even the brick exterior. .308 rounds are 2700 feet per second or more.

Home defense assumes you inside the home. Most homes are not more than 20-40 feet long. Most backyards/front yards are less than 20 yards deep or wide. Thinkl about the range you need to cover. A shotgun is really the only logical choice in long guns and of course a good pistol back up.

Do you have children? A consideration.
I have a Remington 870 and racking a round in that will deter almost any threat.
No one wants to try to go head to head with a 12 gauge. They'll run. If they don't, you'll win.
I good flashlight on a shotgun and you're not likely to miss a lite up target.
Just my two cents.

Now for holding off a hord, that's a different kind of home defense.
Amen!
I have a surplus Police issue 870 on stand by.