m1 carbine for home defense? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > m1 carbine for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6556 Times on 3653 Posts
Likes Given: 6201

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The concept in WWII for the M1 Carb was to replace the handgun not the 30-06. Officers and others were unable to defend themselves in "Panic" shooting conditions. The M1 was not a short range rifle but a long range pistol replacement with machine pistol applications.
The Germans had for a very long time issued stocked auto pistols to officers and gun crews. The M1 was introduced to provide our troops with a pistol replacement.
The Canadian forces adopted the Inglis 9MM with a shoulder stock. The Browning Inglis [P-35] was not nearly as effective as the .357 power short rifle.
The M1 Carb was never intended to replace the Infantry rifle for American Line troops.

Absolutely. The little carbine was a wonderful weapon for what it was designed for.

Unfortunately, as usual, the military tried to use it for everything except what it was designed for.

I like the comments about the marines wanting to keep the 03A3. I'm reminded of this very situation every vtime I hear some dinosaur whining about going back to the "good ole M14"' to replace that useless M16!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #32

Default M12 Ammo cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
the 30 carbine ammo is almost twice as much as 9mm. I have seen M1 carbines for sale from $300 on up. The 9MM High Point has only 10 rd magazines. the 30 carbine has 15 and 30 round.
Aguila can be had for $17 for 50 rounds. Not that much worse price wise than .223.

I have a Stag 3, a Mini-14, and an M1 Carbine which I find to be very enjoyable to shoot.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6556 Times on 3653 Posts
Likes Given: 6201

It's actually cheaper than .223

That $17 is for FIFTY rounds.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #34

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

to locotus- can you get a link to where you found this ammo at that price?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 AM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11490

The few M1 carbines I have fired have had feeding and stovepiping issues. One was made by Singer, another by IBM and I forget who made the other 2 or 3. Given that if I did own one it would not be in the first accessible layer in the safe. I keep a S&W revolver and a couple of Glocks ready for HD, but if you are under 21 I would say that a shotty would be your best choice for HD. Take a look at them. My first shotty was a Mossberg 500 and I still have it. They sell them now with an 18 inch barrell for HD and a longer barrel for range time or hunting. Good all around shotgun that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, plus ammo is reasonable to boot.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #36

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

thaanks the advie. right now i have a 30-30 holding me down. a 12gauge sounds very versatile, guess im going to look into the shotgun field

Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #37

Liked 407 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Absolutely. I like the comments about the marines wanting to keep the 03A3. I'm reminded of this very situation every vtime I hear some dinosaur whining about going back to the "good ole M14"' to replace that useless M16!
When I was deployed, there were some old timers who opted for not just the M-14, but the Thompson and M-3 Grease Gun. They preferred the bigger rounds that would cut down foliage that Mr. Charles used as cover. The smaller faster .223 just went thru it. You had to give them props. Humping that big, heavy rifle with it's heavy loaded mags along with everything else we had to hump in that stifling heat? Took a special kind of man. The M-16 and basic load was heavy enough for me.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #38

Default inexpensive .30 cal Carbine Ammo link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
to locotus- can you get a link to where you found this ammo at that price?
Different Ammo ARMSCOR but at the same price

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-604?utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&ut m_campaign=Armscor45+-+11%2f13+Campaign

Last edited by myname; 11-13-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarity of meaning

Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #39

Default fixing feeding issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
The few M1 carbines I have fired have had feeding and stovepiping issues. One was made by Singer, another by IBM and I forget who made the other 2 or 3. Given that if I did own one it would not be in the first accessible layer in the safe. I keep a S&W revolver and a couple of Glocks ready for HD, but if you are under 21 I would say that a shotty would be your best choice for HD. Take a look at them. My first shotty was a Mossberg 500 and I still have it. They sell them now with an 18 inch barrell for HD and a longer barrel for range time or hunting. Good all around shotgun that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, plus ammo is reasonable to boot.
Most of the M1 Carbine feeding issues are either extractor parts or magazine related. the extractor and ejector parts are inexpensive and not difficult to replace, but you really need a bolt tool to do so. Cost ~$20 for the tool. Sarco, Numerich and others sell all the bolt parts for the M1 Carbine. Cheaper than Dirt's Mag-343 seems to work great for the majority of reviewers. I have 4 of them that work great. If you are talking about a GI Carbine, It may not have had ANY maintenance for 60+ years. And if a commercial carbine maybe it had some poor bolt parts put in it in the first place. The extractor and associated parts are wear items..

Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #40
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11490

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname View Post
Most of the M1 Carbine feeding issues are either extractor parts or magazine related. the extractor and ejector parts are inexpensive and not difficult to replace, but you really need a bolt tool to do so. Cost ~$20 for the tool. Sarco, Numerich and others sell all the bolt parts for the M1 Carbine. Cheaper than Dirt's Mag-343 seems to work great for the majority of reviewers. I have 4 of them that work great. If you are talking about a GI Carbine, It may not have had ANY maintenance for 60+ years. And if a commercial carbine maybe it had some poor bolt parts put in it in the first place. The extractor and associated parts are wear items..
The ones I have fired were all GI. I don't own one. Maybe someday though, but its not on my short list.