m1 carbine for home defense? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > m1 carbine for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7193 Times on 3982 Posts
Likes Given: 6949

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The M-1 .30 Carb was the American version of the M-16 thru 3 wars and 100s of armed conflicts. The little rifle jumped out of airplanes fought in the tropics and the deserts. The M-2 select fire flat bolt was a great urban war fare weapon for military and civilans. It was and is a very dependable compact rifle.
Guys in the Pacific swore by it. Guys in Korea swore AT it!
Still not as reliable as a good DA revolver.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 11-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I picked up an old inland in amazing shape for 200 bucks last week and there a great little gun I was amazed how accurate it still was for being made in the 40s but I'd say go with sawed of shotty or pistol with crimson trace for home d the peep sight is way to hard to aim through in low light

Old 11-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #23

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My opinion is it is too much gun for home defense. I have an Armalite .308 and even with soft hollow points it's going through several walls. Perhaps even the brick exterior. .308 rounds are 2700 feet per second or more.

Home defense assumes you inside the home. Most homes are not more than 20-40 feet long. Most backyards/front yards are less than 20 yards deep or wide. Thinkl about the range you need to cover. A shotgun is really the only logical choice in long guns and of course a good pistol back up.

Do you have children? A consideration.
I have a Remington 870 and racking a round in that will deter almost any threat.
No one wants to try to go head to head with a 12 gauge. They'll run. If they don't, you'll win.
I good flashlight on a shotgun and you're not likely to miss a lite up target.
Just my two cents.

Now for holding off a hord, that's a different kind of home defense.
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6614 Times on 3513 Posts
Likes Given: 490

if you want a ifle for home defense the ar15 is the best all around choice. it has less over penetration issues than a 9mm or 30carbine. 30 carbine hovers around 357magnum in power level. you give up the power factor of the 223/556.

the fault of the carbine lies in engaging targets past 100yards. thats what earned it a hated rep amongst open field longer range engagement troops in ww2 and why the urban combat and close range troops loved it.

its a good effective close range round but its a serious over penetration round even with softpoints.

if you can find a good working sample be prepaired to pay ar15 prices. good m1's arent cheap.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
CHLChris Likes This 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 AM   #25

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Locutus ,come to the Pre 1950 Milsurp shoot at Big Piney next spring. If you think that little rifle won't out shoot a DA. You will see guys ringing steel plates a 300 meters.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #26

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Jon, I've read lots of stuff that it doesn't overpenetrate more than other high-power HG calibers. The problem is when it doesn't tumble. My HD carbine carries .223 soft points. Much better maneuverability than the M1 Carbine and much cheaper in every respect!!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7193 Times on 3982 Posts
Likes Given: 6949

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Locutus ,come to the Pre 1950 Milsurp shoot at Big Piney next spring. If you think that little rifle won't out shoot a DA. You will see guys ringing steel plates a 300 meters.
I love the little carbine.

My last post was about the Marines in WW2 that loved the carbine in the jugles of the pacific.

But the soldiers and Marines in Korea had longer ranges to shoot, and had to try to shoot through the heavily padded winter uniforms of the Chinese soldiers.
The carbine fared poorly, and the troops hated it.

I carried one from 1961-1965, and have owned one ever since. Like I said, I really like it, but I'm also very familiar with it's limitations.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #28

Troops were taught that the M1 Carb. had an effective range of 100 yards. The M3/M3 M1 Sniper Infrared Scoped unit was effective to 125 yards. You also heard that the 1911 Pistol was useless. The USMC thought the Garand was a failure and wanted to keep the 1903A3 rifles.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #29

Liked 458 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

Donn, I'm a great fan of rifles. But the M1 carbine is not exactly a rifle. Not in the sense that an AR or AK is.

And I've never seen a carbine that had the reliability of a good handgun. As much as I love the little carbine, I don't trust it completely. I wanna hear "bang" every time I pull the trigger. Every time, no exceptions.
I agree it's not in the same league as AR's or AK's, but disagree re:reliability, at least with mine. Someone mentioned thru and thru, shooting your neighbor. Depending on what ammo is used, you run the same risk with a 9mm, 40 S&W or 357 handgun. To each his own, it comes down to crunch time, I'll take a long gun over a short one every time.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #30

The concept in WWII for the M1 Carb was to replace the handgun not the 30-06. Officers and others were unable to defend themselves in "Panic" shooting conditions. The M1 was not a short range rifle but a long range pistol replacement with machine pistol applications.
The Germans had for a very long time issued stocked auto pistols to officers and gun crews. The M1 was introduced to provide our troops with a pistol replacement.
The Canadian forces adopted the Inglis 9MM with a shoulder stock. The Browning Inglis [P-35] was not nearly as effective as the .357 power short rifle.
The M1 Carb was never intended to replace the Infantry rifle for American Line troops.
shadecorp Likes This