Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M1 Carbine

After thinking about it for quite a while I picked up an M1 Carbine a couple of months ago. Actually picked up two of them I got a deal on, and will probably sell one of them.
They are IAI commercial reproductions with a mix of WWII GI parts and post war contract spare parts. Receivers and barrels are new commercial production from around 10 years ago. Barrel is the same production as the new Kahr Auto Ordinance carbines from Green Mountain Rifle Barrels. One had never been shot and the other one not too much. Both shoot good with no feeding problems with good mags. Found the Korean made mags with bolt hold back follower work as well as the one GI mag I have. One of the carbines has a beautiful walnut stock, and the other one a lower grade birch stock. Which ever one I keep is going to be in the Walnut stock, though.

Ammo is kind of pricy although I found Agullia FMJ at $17 for 50. Found that BVAC softpoints shoot well and are ~$24 for 50. Brass is expensive for reloading, so the used brass is worth nearly $.20 each. I am saving all the brass to either start reloading, or to sell when I accumulate 1000 pieces.

iai-m1-carbines.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

very nice. most of those repro barely work or have very frustrating intermittent issues. companies stopped making or attempting to make the repro m1 when supplies of cheap surplus 30carbine dried up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #3

Default IAI Carbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
very nice. most of those repro barely work or have very frustrating intermittent issues. companies stopped making or attempting to make the repro m1 when supplies of cheap surplus 30carbine dried up.
Agree with you 100% about many of the Repro carbines. All kinds of junk was passed off by the unscrupulous. The IAI carbines are strict M1 pattern carbines and the parts were, all GI or later replacement contract replacements. One of mine is NPM bolt with all NPM parts in it, Underwood Slide, White hammer, Winchester trigger group.

Other one has an Underwood round bolt (postwar spares production) with oil hole, M2 replacement slide, WA trigger parts and Mag release.

Apparently a few of the IAI carbines had issues with the slide coming out of the receiver when fired. They either do of they don't. These don't and are nice shooters. Paid $750 for the pair of them. Have fired about 250 rounds through each. So for 1/2 the price of a $750 hard used parts bin mongrel WWII Carbine without much collector value, I have a nice shooter with a new barrel, barely used GI parts, that looks awesome. It has no collector value, but a real M1 Carbine with collector value, that looks half decent, is at least 4x the price. What's not to like about that?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Very nice rifles. One of my lgs had one a few months ago for 800, was in very good condition, much like yours but I couldnt come up the money as I was between jobs at the time.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have owned M-1 Carbs going back to the NRA $15 dollars each days. I enjoy shooting the little super charged .32-20 auto. About a month ago I was amazed at how effective these little rifles can be.

I was attending a large Pre 1950 only Milsurp rifle shoot. The match required 300 rounds over a 2 day shoot. The shoot ended with a Walk About shooting iron out to 300 yards. When I saw some of these fellows ringing steel at 300 yards with M-1 Carbs I was impressed. No none of them placed but it gave many of us new repect for those tiny warriors of the past.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #6

With expanding bullets, should be a great defensive weapon. Low recoil and muzzle blast, delivering ~150% of the energy of a maximum load .357 mag round.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by myname View Post
Agree with you 100% about many of the Repro carbines. All kinds of junk was passed off by the unscrupulous. The IAI carbines are strict M1 pattern carbines and the parts were, all GI or later replacement contract replacements. One of mine is NPM bolt with all NPM parts in it, Underwood Slide, White hammer, Winchester trigger group.

Other one has an Underwood round bolt (postwar spares production) with oil hole, M2 replacement slide, WA trigger parts and Mag release.

Apparently a few of the IAI carbines had issues with the slide coming out of the receiver when fired. They either do of they don't. These don't and are nice shooters. Paid $750 for the pair of them. Have fired about 250 rounds through each. So for 1/2 the price of a $750 hard used parts bin mongrel WWII Carbine without much collector value, I have a nice shooter with a new barrel, barely used GI parts, that looks awesome. It has no collector value, but a real M1 Carbine with collector value, that looks half decent, is at least 4x the price. What's not to like about that?
there are a couple different variations of the charging handle and bolt and if you get the wrong ones together the bolt pops out when cycling it. its an issue with actual surplus ones that have been cobbled together.

you can check for this by applying up and out to the right pressure while pulling the bolt to the rear. if it pops out skip it. or haggle the owner down because its an unsafe firearm and you will rescue it from him/her. best method is a detail strip and inspection and knowing what varients work with what. but its a quick and dirty rough check

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-18-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #8

Default bolt and slide issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
there are a couple different variations of the charging handle and bolt and if you get the wrong ones together the bolt pops out when cycling it. its an issue with actual surplus ones that have been cobbled together.

you can check for this by applying up and out to the right pressure while pulling the bolt to the rear. if it pops out skip it. or haggle the owner down because its an unsafe firearm and you will rescue it from him/her. best method is a detail strip and inspection and knowing what varients work with what. but its a quick and dirty rough check
Wouldn't any M1 Carbine's slide pop out, if you pull it to the slide dismount cut out position and pull up and out?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

not if everything is properly fitted with the correct parts and a proper stock. im not talking about back to the cut though. just pull it back until the bolt is out of the locking lugs and chamber and pullup and out if you can shake the bolt loose its incorrect or very worn.

just remember that doesnt mean the gun is good, just one quick way to tell if its not.

Last edited by JonM; 10-24-2012 at 02:54 AM.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #10

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The M-1 and M-2 bolts and charging handles differ. They often use M-2 parts in Mix Master these very often have FTF problems.