M1 Carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default M1 Carbine

Just left my local gunstore and they have in stock a small number of M1 Carbines in various condition ranging from 400 to 799. Got my eye on the best one for 799, mint condition with 3 mags and original od green military sling. The others were pretty beat up and one had some kind of heat shield thing on it in place of the wood on the top. I nearly bought one about 5 years ago at this same store for 400 in ok condition and didnt and have been kicking myself since then for not buying it. My wifes uncle said i should have the bore mic'ed said there was a batch of 3 to 4 thousand rifles out of alabama last year that had totally wore out bores. The bore on this one was shiny and the rifling i could see looked good with the naked eye.

Anyone know anything about them? Ive heard the carbine was criticized for not having alot of knockdown power but the guy at the gunstore said they shoot good and are fun to shoot.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

This is a whole field of study unto itself- sort of like asking "anybody know anything about cars?"

The .30 carbine is basically a fairly peppy pistol round. IMHO, underpowered for deer- fun to shoot, but alas that endless ocean of CHEEP Milsurp ammo has gone away.

There are MILITARY carbines- made in WW 2 for the US, and there are civilian carbines- made after the war. Possibly the most notorious of those were the Universal carbine- started off using milsurp parts, and then design changed, parts do not interchange.

Metal handguard will usually mean a civilian carbine- which sells for much less.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

there are currently korean war carbines making their way to shops. these are guns that the cmp considered too far gone to even use for parts. dunham's has been buying these and selling them at collector prices.

two things you can do to check the bore. get a bore gage for .30 cal or get a cartridge for the rifle in question. if the bullet will go in the muzzle up to the brass then its shot out or counterbored. a gage will tell you the exact condition of the bore.

most carbines have shot out bores.

when it comes to m1 carbines you REALLY need to know what your looking at or bring someone who does. there are far more mixmasters being passed off to the unsuspecting as real collectables than you can shake a stick at.

if you dont want the hassle of educating yourself on the M1 then i ould strongly suggest getting one from the cmp.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

See the new Citadel Chiappa M1 in .22LR ??

New citadel M1 22lr carbine - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Eons ago I bought a BlueSky Imports Inland M1 at Woolworths outside of Pittsburgh. Fun shooter, but even back then - ammo was expensive. Sold it for what I paid for it and never looked back.

I stick to guns I can readily find ammo for at WalMart for their prices.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #5

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan

Eons ago I bought a BlueSky Imports Inland M1 at Woolworths outside of Pittsburgh. Fun shooter, but even back then - ammo was expensive. Sold it for what I paid for it and never looked back.

The one i was looking at was an inland. I like the history behind them, even though ammo might be a little bit higher.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought an Israeli surplus M1 from SOG last year. Although it is not mint I is a whole lot of fun to shoot.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfafan View Post

Reminds me of the Erma Werks / Iver Johnson M1 Carbine .22 from the 80's (I have a mint version in my gun safe with only about 500 rounds thru it!)