Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1 carbine 2nd Gen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Unfortunately ruger bought into the piston hype fad so it drove up costs and they ended up with a very pricey clunky unbalanced ar15 of which they were outsourcing pretty much everything on it.
Dam that's to bad Jon, I knew that they where going piston but didn't know they had outsourced many of their parts.. I've seen some decent piston conversions .. By big gripe and the reason I steered away from the piston would be effectively losing my free floating barrel.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5265 Times on 2744 Posts
Likes Given: 332

Piston guns can be very accurate if its done right. The scar17 m1a and m1 garand is proof of that. But your not going to get there by a add on kit . It has to be done as part of the overall design process.

The ruger ar15 is something that came from a very vocal minority in the gun forums speaking on a topic they have no real experience with. Ruger saw that as an area of demand rather than the fad internet jockey nonsense it is. So they went pricey piston trying to solve something that has never been a problem in the modern ar15 system.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hear good things about the new Auto Ordinance M1. In his book "Gun Digest Book of Survival Guns: Tools & Tactics for Disaster Preparedness", Scott Wagner has good things to say about them. The Universal models, including the Enforcer pistol, have all been excessively unreliable.

If you want an M1 Carbine, and who could blame you, you might consider looking into one of the new AO guns.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #14

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The M-1 Carb is a natural for shooting cast bullets. The .30 Carb round is nothing more than a handgun round. The bullets cast from Linotype gas checked and lubed with SPG will work just fine. The bullets only gas cut when shot undersized. The correct size for cast bullets in the M-1 is .309. There will not be any leading or gas port fouling.
The straight walled cases subjected to being jerked from the chamber does require more trimming. The proper head space is critical in the carbines and handguns when firing this round. Most reloading instructions will point this out.

Last edited by nitestalker; 10-18-2013 at 05:26 AM.
ric-hubbard Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2583 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Several slow burning pistol powders work well in the .30 M1. I have used IMR 4227 in the past, but prefer W-296 now.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball