M1 carbine 2nd Gen
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > M1 carbine 2nd Gen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default M1 carbine 2nd Gen

So I broke down and traded for a universal 2nd Generation M1 Carbine.. It needs a hand guard either wood or metal, other than that for a rife manufactured in the late 60's early 70's it's in fantastic shape.. It's just for my collection / plinking .. I did read up and seems that most of universals bad rap came from their late run 3rd gens ..

Anyways any tips on reloading .30 cal? It looks like a .357 magnum.. Also any tips or links for restoring would be welcomed

image-3886172882.jpg

image-2026139517.jpg

image-3526286119.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

The universal carbines aren't m1 carbines. No parts interchange without severe modifications. If it functions take it out and shoot it and enjoy getting lucky with one. A good portion of them don't function well.

30 carbine is easy to load very little trimming is ever needed in straightwall cases. That's why most of the cartridges I gravitate to are straightwalled. Breeze to load for. Just don't use non jacketed lead bullets. Clog that gas port and its a bear to clean it out.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
The universal carbines aren't m1 carbines. No parts interchange without severe modifications. If it functions take it out and shoot it and enjoy getting lucky with one. A good portion of them don't function well. 30 carbine is easy to load very little trimming is ever needed in straightwall cases. That's why most of the cartridges I gravitate to are straightwalled. Breeze to load for. Just don't use non jacketed lead bullets. Clog that gas port and its a bear to clean it out.
Thanks for that Jon.. Yeah there was so many knockoffs post WW II that I was drowning in info.. Of course id love to own a Original USMIL, but they are pricy and I would not want to take it to the range very often just because of its collectibility.. That's why I settled on a knock off .. It fires and cycles well, it's all good steel.. firing it or dropping it won't detract from its value .. Universal was in business for a very long time and manufactures quite a few, so I assume that they couldn't all be bad..

Old 10-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hialeah, Florida is where they were made. Glad yours functions well, the one I shot did not. Believe it or not, Sears used to stock it.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCapt View Post
Thanks for that Jon.. Yeah there was so many knockoffs post WW II that I was drowning in info.. Of course id love to own a Original USMIL, but they are pricy and I would not want to take it to the range very often just because of its collectibility.. That's why I settled on a knock off .. It fires and cycles well, it's all good steel.. firing it or dropping it won't detract from its value .. Universal was in business for a very long time and manufactures quite a few, so I assume that they couldn't all be bad..
I believe they are or were made in the phillipines hileigh florida was the import location.

Not all were bad just most which is why folks tend to avoid them. Sounds like you got lucky.

The 30carbine is a damn fun round simply one of my favorites due to its decent accuracy and light recoil. The carbine action just makes it fun to shoot. Its a shame no one made a good clone as its a stupid simple design with few moving parts using a easy to produce round that is more than capable of taking deer at the 100 yard mark.

30carbine is about the same power factor as a 357 levergun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
Hialeah, Florida is where they were made. Glad yours functions well, the one I shot did not. Believe it or not, Sears used to stock it.
I did some research on the universals and turns out the first gens up to a certain point, made where interchangeable with mil parts. The 2nd gen starts at about 104,xxx up and some website s attribute the changes in design to cost cutting and or this is where they where no longer just assembling surplus mil parts and where actually manufacturing parts of their own.. This one I acquired is 162,xxx so it's right in the middle of the pack, and ballpark early 70's manufacturing . The 3rd gens is where the real bad wrap for this manufacturing company comes to play, well all the indicators and research done by others seems to point to this as the stage where the wheels basically come off due to cost cutting and led to the eventual demise of the company..

Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I believe they are or were made in the phillipines hileigh florida was the import location. Not all were bad just most which is why folks tend to avoid them. Sounds like you got lucky. The 30carbine is a damn fun round simply one of my favorites due to its decent accuracy and light recoil. The carbine action just makes it fun to shoot. Its a shame no one made a good clone as its a stupid simple design with few moving parts using a easy to produce round that is more than capable of taking deer at the 100 yard mark. 30carbine is about the same power factor as a 357 levergun.
I agree.. It's a popping lil round.. To bad Ruger couldn't modify the 10/22 to accommodate this round ..

Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCapt View Post
I agree.. It's a popping lil round.. To bad Ruger couldn't modify the 10/22 to accommodate this round ..
I like that carbine! I agree on the Ruger carbine wishes. Did you ever see Ruger's 9mm carbine? I heard they were popular with some of the larger police departments. I would love to have one. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=368073036 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=368595761 the foty version

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-02-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I like that carbine! I agree on the Ruger carbine wishes. Did you ever see Ruger's 9mm carbine? I heard they were popular with some of the larger police departments. I would love to have one. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=368073036 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=368595761 the foty version
Funny thing is I remember somebody telling me about the 9mm, but like usual I forgot to check it out like I said I was.. That's pretty cool. I know some guys like to convert AR platforms to 9mm , seems like a hassle if you could pick up one of those .. To me Ruger is still one of premier gun companies ( behind Springfield Armory)Some of my friends claim that they are bland.. But I'd take ruger ruggedness and reliability over flashiness any day .. I've owned several Mini 14's and 30's .. Never had a glitch or problem.. I was disappointed that their AR system didn't take off.. I think the price kinda scared people away, when there are so many models and variations on the market that are priced lower ..

Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Unfortunately ruger bought into the piston hype fad so it drove up costs and they ended up with a very pricey clunky unbalanced ar15 of which they were outsourcing pretty much everything on it.