Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > m-14 barrel length?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Default m-14 barrel length?

Ok so I realy want to get a m14 leaning towards one of the springfield models but a question on the barrel length. If I go with the shorter barrel like the socom how much differnce in accuracy will I see compared to a standard barrel?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The only thing I can see with going to a shorter barrel is loss of MV over the standard lenght barrel. I think longer range accuracy might suffer a bit. It all depends on your intended use of this rifle. I have mine with standard lenght barrel and original walnut stock. What they called the "Loaded" version. For what it is, it has done quite well at longer ranges. I'm just not quite sure how the shorter "SOCOM" model they make as of the last few years would perform at the 500 to 600 yard line compaired to the longer standard lenght barreled versions of M1A's. I believe it would be less percise at these distances.

For myself I don't particulary like the Socom versions of the M-14/M1A''s. They just dont look what a battle rifle should look like and for the one I had the oppertunity to shoot a couple of years ago, it just felt too much different, actually akward for me, than my standard length walnut stock M1A.

Hopefully M14'S Rock will chime in soon and shed some more light on this.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

What is your ultimate intended purpose for the rifle? The Socom is plenty accurate, but if you plan on shooting matches you will need a full length. A great compromise is the Bush length that you get with the Squad Scout.

What distance are you planning to shoot at? More than 500?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #4

Looks like great minds...

But I love the Socom for an all around rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
The only thing I can see with going to a shorter barrel is loss of MV over the standard lenght barrel. I think longer range accuracy might suffer a bit. It all depends on your intended use of this rifle. I have mine with standard lenght barrel and original walnut stock. What they called the "Loaded" version. For what it is, it has done quite well at longer ranges. I'm just not quite sure how the shorter "SOCOM" model they make as of the last few years would perform at the 500 to 600 yard line compaired to the longer standard lenght barreled versions of M1A's. I believe it would be less percise at these distances.

For myself I don't particulary like the Socom versions of the M-14/M1A''s. They just dont look what a battle rifle should look like and for the one I had the oppertunity to shoot a couple of years ago, it just felt too much different, actually akward for me, than my standard length walnut stock M1A.

Hopefully M14'S Rock will chime in soon and shed some more light on this.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-11-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys for the input, I would only be wanting to shoot a distance no more than 500 yards, so I it would be safe to say that a SOCOM version would be adaqute?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Thanks guys for the input, I would only be wanting to shoot a distance no more than 500 yards, so I it would be safe to say that a SOCOM version would be adaqute?
Socom will do fine to 500. They are easy to handle, and great if used in vehicles.

Not a match grade rifle, but for a general purpose/SHTF rifle it is hard to beat.

Just remember to only use CMI mags. Best deal is from 44Mag.com.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the advice m14srock. Hopefully someday I will have both versions, but right now I can only choose one and thats a ways off lol, one other question though, are any of the operating parts inside the rifle differnt from each other since one is shorter i.e. will they both accept the same parts like op rod and such? thanks again

--George Washington

Old 10-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #8

The only problem a Socom has in shooting long range is the sights.The rear aperture is .125,and the front sight is a glow-in-the-dark wide sight.Neither are made for precision long shots,but for quick sight acquisition at relatively short range.I love my Socom as a general use rifle,but for 500 yards,I'd take the Scout.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #9

Parts interchangeability is no problem. The shorter bbl requires a larger gas port, but the oprod is the same.

And Wayne is correct about the sights, but there are standard and NM sights avail that work on the Soc.

Mine was fine on steel plates at 500-600, though, with the factory XS Sights it came with, as well as the Aimpoint.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 10-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

ok thanks alot you all

--George Washington