Lr-308 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Lr-308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Dog hit a homer with his post - see my "like it" tag.

DPMS is one of two AR-10 platforms and Armalite is the other. Dog is 100% correct that they don't play well together like on the AR-15.

So are you asking about the platform itself as opposed to an assembled rifle from DPMS?

If so, I think that both the DPMS platform and the Armalite platform will be well supported as the AR-10 becomes more and more prevalent as a weapon of choice for the civilian populace.

I have held in my hands both the Armalite and the DPMS configurations for the AR-10 and they are both what you would expect. It's a receiver, just like other receivers.

If you put quality parts on it, it will shoot. If you half ass it, it will half ass you back in performance.

I'd love to know your plans. Are you building? Or purchasing outright?

JD

Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Thanks guys.
Our family got a pretty good deal on one and bought it outright. The trigger was really gritty so it has been replaced. We have not gotten it out to the range yet.
I have gone over it thoroughly and the only thing I noticed was that the castle nut is not staked.
I have heard so much feedback on the 556 DPMS rifles but could not find much on the 308s.
We typically own several weapons in each caliber we shoot so we can buy ammo in bulk and if a weapon fails and parts are not available all the ammo isn't worthless, so I will defiantly be building one next.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #13

Soon like ordering parts in the next few weeks soon. There are so many new options for the 308 AR that have sprung up recently I really need to do some research. But for parts interchangeability I am sticking with the LR over the AR10.

I just hope there are no issues at the range with the DPMS.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #14

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Like how some guys don't like Spikes because of their price gouging the last election I will never purchase anything DPMS. I'm sure DPMS will work the majority of the time for most here but... I'm just glad I decided against the SASS I had my eye on before I knew enough to make a good decision. The conversation I had w/ a DPMS rep was ridiculous. He avoided every single question I had. They half-ass and attempt to hide it. I have seen and heard to many stories of imploding DPMS equipment to have any sort of confidence in them.

For you that have a DPMS and are happy, I'm happy for you. I will continue to attempt to steer perspective buyers away from them.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5953 Times on 3370 Posts
Likes Given: 5521

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Like how some guys don't like Spikes because of their price gouging the last election I will never purchase anything DPMS. I'm sure DPMS will work the majority of the time for most here but... I'm just glad I decided against the SASS I had my eye on before I knew enough to make a good decision. The conversation I had w/ a DPMS rep was ridiculous. He avoided every single question I had. They half-ass and attempt to hide it. I have seen and heard to many stories of imploding DPMS equipment to have any sort of confidence in them.

For you that have a DPMS and are happy, I'm happy for you. I will continue to attempt to steer perspective buyers away from them.
and from my personal experience with them, I will continue to try to steer prospective buyers toward them!

Winston Churchill

Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
and from my personal experience with them, I will continue to try to steer prospective buyers toward them!
We all have to make these decisions for ourselves. After getting the run around from a DPMS rep and watching them divert and dodge answering question posed by others along w/ their corner cutting over priced products, never.

If integrity and moral business pratices don't matter to you then by all means, buy DPMS. Hey they have that Outbreak Omega zombie thing once a year. That makes it worth overlooking all that other stuff. Right?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5953 Times on 3370 Posts
Likes Given: 5521

I've never had a problem with them. The only American gun maker that I had really bad experiences with is Ruger.

And that may (hopefully) have cleared up now that the old man's dead, and junior left the company.

Winston Churchill

Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #18

I asked them why they withheld their manufacturing/assembly methods and the materials used in their rifles and they danced like a hippie on lsd, they were all over the grid. Just little ol'me asking a couple simple questions and they wouldn't be honest. Pose the same questions to a company like DD or BCM and see what happens.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #19

So what are some of the issues or parts failures I should be aware of with the LR-308? Anything I should inspect or preemptively replace?
Thanks

Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew661 View Post
So what are some of the issues or parts failures I should be aware of with the LR-308? Anything I should inspect or preemptively replace?
Thanks
What kind of tools do you have? A chamber gauge to check for proper chamber specs and pull out the BCG and look at the castle nut for proper staking. We've had a report on this site of a barrel not being straight. Everything else like trigger pins walking and LPKs imploding or going full auto are all "during use" type issues. Proper torque on barrel nuts and castle nuts are another thing they don't always get right or catch before the firearm leaves the facility.

Why would you want to purchase a new rifle just to have to replace parts? I would rather purchase a firearm from a company that sent it out the door GTG.

Morals, check your morals when purchasing from a company like DPMS. And don't forget your integrity.

I know it sounds a little harsh but in todays market there's no need to support a shady business.