Lr-308
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Lr-308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default Lr-308

Hey guys,
What have your experiences been with the DPMS 308 platform?
Thank you in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6572 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 6214

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew661 View Post
Hey guys,
What have your experiences been with the DPMS 308 platform?
Thank you in advance.
I've had the LR308-AP4 for about 10 years now.

I love it. MOA accurate, 100 percent reliable, and very light weight. A good ACOG makes it even better.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #3

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I've had a good experience with my DPMS LR308 AP4 since buying it 7-8 years ago,the rifles has always been very reliable and the accuracy from the 16" free floated barrel is very impressive.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Never owned one but dpms triggers aren't great. My captain has one with the 20 inch barrel and loves it. He agrees the triggers aren't great. I would suggest looking into a rock river. Much better 2 stage trigger, but more expensive too.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've had this turd in a zip lock bag for 15 years it must be good. What does time have to do w/ quality?

DPMS is less hit than miss and their buisness morals are questionable. The avoid giving out information on their manufacturing process and materials. They also half-ass the assembly of their rifles. Look around, there are examples of this all over the place.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6572 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 6214

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I've had this turd in a zip lock bag for 15 years it must be good. What does time have to do w/ quality?

DPMS is less hit than miss and their buisness morals are questionable. The avoid giving out information on their manufacturing process and materials. They also half-ass the assembly of their rifles. Look around, there are examples of this all over the place.
Mike, I have just over 1,000 rounds of Portugese surplus ball, and well over 2000 rounds of handloads through mine. It's been 100 percent.

As far as the trigger, it's a fighting rifle, not a match gun. The trigger is comparable to my M-1 Garand, M-1 carbine, and 10X better than the HK91 I previously owned.

If you feel the need for a match grade trigger, buy an aftermarket one and install it. Personally, I have no complaints with "service grade" rifle triggers.

Last edited by locutus; 07-04-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

Mike, I have just over 1,000 rounds of Portugese surplus ball, and well over 2000 rounds of handloads through mine. It's been 100 percent.

As far as the trigger, it's a fighting rifle, not a match gun. The trigger is comparable to my M-1 Garand, M-1 carbine, and 10X better than the HK91 I previously owned.

If you feel the need for a match grade trigger, buy an aftermarket one and install it. Personally, I have no complaints with "service grade" rifle triggers.
I'm not terribly concerned w/ the trigger. Now the hit and miss quality and sneaky business practices are a more of a concern.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Mine is a reliable shooter. Haven't put more than a couple hundred through it so far, though. It's been good money spent as far as I'm concerned.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

A good friend of mine has one and I have shot it. It is a nice rifle. I did buy a Rock River LAR-8 308. Some of the reasons was it also was a 16" barrel that will group 1 MOA at 100 plus the fact it has the 2 Stage National Match Trigger and takes FL LAR inch or metric magazines which are readily available and not proprietary item to a specific company like most 308 AR Magazines. But both rifles would certainly be a good choice.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #10

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I've had a LR308B for a few years now and enjoy it very much. It is very accurate and has been trouble free (the only issue I have had is with jams caused y a hinky mag).

are there better rifles available? sure. are there better manufactures? sure. But keep in mind that with the AR10 platform there are 2 distinct variations - DPMS and Armalite, and they are NOT compatible.

now on to the real question ... have you given any thought to "building" your own?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Dillinger Likes This