Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Lr-308 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/lr-308-a-67209/)

drew661 06-27-2012 10:28 PM

Lr-308

Hey guys,
What have your experiences been with the DPMS 308 platform?
Thank you in advance.

locutus 06-27-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew661 (Post 851336)
Hey guys,
What have your experiences been with the DPMS 308 platform?
Thank you in advance.

I've had the LR308-AP4 for about 10 years now.

I love it. MOA accurate, 100 percent reliable, and very light weight. A good ACOG makes it even better.

MOshooter 07-04-2012 04:49 AM

I've had a good experience with my DPMS LR308 AP4 since buying it 7-8 years ago,the rifles has always been very reliable and the accuracy from the 16" free floated barrel is very impressive.

Kdub 07-04-2012 05:10 AM

Never owned one but dpms triggers aren't great. My captain has one with the 20 inch barrel and loves it. He agrees the triggers aren't great. I would suggest looking into a rock river. Much better 2 stage trigger, but more expensive too.

MikeJK 07-04-2012 05:25 AM

I've had this turd in a zip lock bag for 15 years it must be good. What does time have to do w/ quality?

DPMS is less hit than miss and their buisness morals are questionable. The avoid giving out information on their manufacturing process and materials. They also half-ass the assembly of their rifles. Look around, there are examples of this all over the place.

locutus 07-04-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK (Post 858418)
I've had this turd in a zip lock bag for 15 years it must be good. What does time have to do w/ quality?

DPMS is less hit than miss and their buisness morals are questionable. The avoid giving out information on their manufacturing process and materials. They also half-ass the assembly of their rifles. Look around, there are examples of this all over the place.

Mike, I have just over 1,000 rounds of Portugese surplus ball, and well over 2000 rounds of handloads through mine. It's been 100 percent.

As far as the trigger, it's a fighting rifle, not a match gun. The trigger is comparable to my M-1 Garand, M-1 carbine, and 10X better than the HK91 I previously owned.

If you feel the need for a match grade trigger, buy an aftermarket one and install it. Personally, I have no complaints with "service grade" rifle triggers.

MikeJK 07-04-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus

Mike, I have just over 1,000 rounds of Portugese surplus ball, and well over 2000 rounds of handloads through mine. It's been 100 percent.

As far as the trigger, it's a fighting rifle, not a match gun. The trigger is comparable to my M-1 Garand, M-1 carbine, and 10X better than the HK91 I previously owned.

If you feel the need for a match grade trigger, buy an aftermarket one and install it. Personally, I have no complaints with "service grade" rifle triggers.

I'm not terribly concerned w/ the trigger. Now the hit and miss quality and sneaky business practices are a more of a concern.

fireguy 07-04-2012 10:33 PM

Mine is a reliable shooter. Haven't put more than a couple hundred through it so far, though. It's been good money spent as far as I'm concerned.

Sniper03 07-04-2012 10:49 PM

A good friend of mine has one and I have shot it. It is a nice rifle. I did buy a Rock River LAR-8 308. Some of the reasons was it also was a 16" barrel that will group 1 MOA at 100 plus the fact it has the 2 Stage National Match Trigger and takes FL LAR inch or metric magazines which are readily available and not proprietary item to a specific company like most 308 AR Magazines. But both rifles would certainly be a good choice.

dog2000tj 07-05-2012 12:34 AM

I've had a LR308B for a few years now and enjoy it very much. It is very accurate and has been trouble free (the only issue I have had is with jams caused y a hinky mag).

are there better rifles available? sure. are there better manufactures? sure. But keep in mind that with the AR10 platform there are 2 distinct variations - DPMS and Armalite, and they are NOT compatible.

now on to the real question ... have you given any thought to "building" your own? :)