Looking for a good long range target rifle - PTR91?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Looking for a good long range target rifle - PTR91?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Looking for a good long range target rifle - PTR91?

I saw this advertised as a legal California rifle and it looks like something that could be a great addition to my collection for range plinking and general useage.

Anybody have any experience with this weapon?

California Legal PTR 91 Rifle For Sale

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No experience but read that FAL is better. Depends on your definition of long range target rifle but on mine it is not.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #3

I have owned two PTR 91's and they were both reliable and accurate rifles. They are probably the best (some say they are better than the original) HK 91 clone on the market. I also have owned two FAL's and while I like the FAL design better, the PTR's were much more accurate and scoping a FAL is a major pain. Honestly, if you want a long range target rilfe I think you should get a good bolt action in .308. Remington 700's are my top pick and Savage's run a close second. Either one will shoot rings around a PTR out of the box and you don't have to worry about them being "compliant". Scoping the bolt guns is a breeze and if you reload, you won't be chasing brass half way across the range.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #4

Likes Given: 2

If you want a "long range target rifle" I wouldn't go with the PTR or FAL, they are both incredible rifles the FAL is accurate and has great ergonomics and the PTR is rugged as all hell but neither are real standouts for long range accuracy

If you want a good semi-auto 308 for long range I would go with an AR10/LR308 or a Springfield M1a. They are both well known for there MOA capabilities, the AR10/LR308 is best suited out of all four rifles for optics mounting, all 3 other rifles are "difficult" to scope in comparrison. Also the AR platform will hold a zero much longer and will produce far less felt recoil.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST