Looking at buying an M1 Carbine....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Looking at buying an M1 Carbine....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Looking at buying an M1 Carbine....

This particular community (semi-auto rifles) seemed to be appropraite for my question, even though it appears to be a mini-14, sks, AR-15 place. I'll give it a go anyway. I am looking to buy an M1 carbine. I would like to get a real nice one. I would prefer one that was manuf. during WWII, or Korea. I know this is an opinionated question. But hoping to find a majority of answers toward a certain maker and go from there.

I am willing to pay up to $800. Is there a particular maker that is "the best find?" Maybe Winchester? I am from Michigan, so the Saginaw interests me. Is there a few makes to be wary of? I appreciate your advise!!
Paul

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Springfield Armory, the original one not the current importer of the XD line of pistols, Harrington & Richardson, International Harvester and Winchester Repeating Arms are the names most commonly associated with WW II era M1s. Direct sales to the public of Mil Surp M1s is through the Civilian Marksmanship Program: Rifle Sales

Unfortunately the CMP is just about out of carbines and there may never be any more available. A private sale or dealer may be your only option but as with anything the price may be higher than what you have budgeted, current auctions for carbines on CMP are well above $1,300

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 12-06-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Lakeshore- by all means, if a Carbine is what floats yer boat, go for it. DO avoid the civilian aftermarket rifles like you would avoid an old girlfriend. The Universal carbines vary from so-so to pretty bad.

ALL of the US military carbines were WW 2 production. There are a number of variations- hi wood low wood, different safeties, different rear sight, bayonet lug/ no bayonet lug, etc. Some makers are more scarce than others- no better, just did not make a lot of them. Rockola, UnQuality, and National Postage Meter have a lot of fans from the names.

Inland and Winchester made a LOT of carbines.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Missed the surplus.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Springfield Armory, the original one not the current importer of the XD line of pistols, Harrington & Richardson, International Harvester and Winchester Repeating Arms are the names most commonly associated with WW II era M1s. Direct sales to the public of Mil Surp M1s is through the Civilian Marksmanship Program: Rifle Sales

Unfortunately the CMP is just about out of carbines and there may never be any more available. A private sale or dealer may be your only option but as with anything the price may be higher than what you have budgeted, current auctions for carbines on CMP are well above $1,300
YA, I had a chance to grab a Postal Meter M1 back in spring, but didn't have the dough at the time. Wasn't decided I really wanted one at that time either. It was $700 and in good condition, and I want to buy one in at least very good-Exc. oh well. Thanks for the advise!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Rock-ola just sounds like a must have.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Lakeshore- by all means, if a Carbine is what floats yer boat, go for it. DO avoid the civilian aftermarket rifles like you would avoid an old girlfriend. The Universal carbines vary from so-so to pretty bad.

ALL of the US military carbines were WW 2 production. There are a number of variations- hi wood low wood, different safeties, different rear sight, bayonet lug/ no bayonet lug, etc. Some makers are more scarce than others- no better, just did not make a lot of them. Rockola, UnQuality, and National Postage Meter have a lot of fans from the names.

Inland and Winchester made a LOT of carbines.
Hey C3, ya I will be picky, but I'll see what I can find. Might have to compromise, but we'll see.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

NRA Life Member

Old 12-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

C3, what's your opinion on the Auto Ordnance replicas of the M1 Carbine?

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #7

You're probably best off just getting a korean war vintage carb and taking care of it. I have one, don't shoot it much but when I do its just the sweetest thing.

We're all goin' to hell and I'm drivin' the bus.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8835 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

AutoOrd is probably one of the better copies- but it is still a copy, means zero worth as a collector's item- and for a shooter only, I would buy something else.

And in today's mail, flyer from Southern Ohio Gun (for all you with a C&R FFL)

M1 Carbines- Originals. Israeli milsurp.

Winchesters- $845
National Postal Meter. Inland, Quality Products, Saginaw, Underwood- $695. Comes w/ one 15 rd mag.

Not for sale in CA. Sorry folks.

Hmmm- they still have 91/30s for $79.............

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-07-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have your C&R I think Southern Ohio Guns still has them in stock. I bought one from them earlier this year. They are Israeli surplus and although not "Minty" they are nice shooters. Mine cost around $650 on sale.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default C&r ffl..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman View Post
If you have your C&R I think Southern Ohio Guns still has them in stock. I bought one from them earlier this year. They are Israeli surplus and although not "Minty" they are nice shooters. Mine cost around $650 on sale.
Well actually, I had an 01 FFL until I made the move out here to Delaware. I had to send in a app for an amended FFL or another state. I was pressed to find a "shop" out here right away, and there is 2 shops within a few miles from me. Meanwhile, we moved into a housing community that has a nice school for the kids. Thought I'd try to get approval from the community to have the FFL at my house temporarily. But, no go!! So....I am a bit lost right now. But, meeting a guy like raymond2688 on here in a different post, may be a big help. I hope to get a shop in the next year or two once we are settled.

NRA Life Member