Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Looking to buy first ar 15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to buy first ar 15

The two models I'm looking at are
1. Stag Arms model 2
2. olympic Arms K 16
I would like your input on what you like most both will be about the same price.

Thanks Gary

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Gary, there are about 20 threads like this one on the AR board, so I would encourage some reading if you don't get exactly what you want here...

First off, what do you want the weapon to do for you? What is your end goal?

Do you want to shoot varmints?

Do you want an end of the world home defense rifle?

Do you want a plinker that you can take to the range or out in the field and shoot some cans?

Is there something specific driving this purchase?

JD

Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Here's my biased and unprofessional opinion based on two data points for each vendor:

BUY THE STAG!

Stag is reliable, well-built and plays well with other vendors' bits and pieces ('cept Colt, which is the odd man out). Oly Arms is also reasonably well-built but has a history of not accepting MILSPEC stuff from other vendors and my personal experiences have confirmed that. No doubt there will be others here who will say differently and that's cool.

There are a bunch of great vendors to think about. As JD says, do some searches and you'll find some useful info.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #4

Dillinger
This gun will be strictly for range shooting and what ever we happen to be shooting at in the woods, cans, targets, I'm not looking to do any hunting with this gun. The reason I want to purchase is I've wanted one for a long time and I'm finally able to do so without having to miss a few meals.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #5

I've heard Stag Arms makes some great stuff, and I'm not gonna say otherwise or say that Oly Arms is better. But I have an Oly Arms K4B and have had absolutely no trouble with it and would not hesitate to buy another AR from Oly Arms.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #6

I was in your shoes a while back. I opted for the Stag Model 3. It's a flat top with front and rear rail, and I added flip up/down sights.
It's the only AR I've ever owned and thus far it has served me well.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

gmounce,

Either of them would be a good starter AR.

You may hear more negatives about the Oly's than most other brands out there, based on past problems. Keep in mind that most of those issues have all been resolved with the current models. But almost every manufacturer out there has had some teething problems with their products at one point or another.

Now, as far as keeping value goes, I would probably say the Stag would be easier to sell down the road if you had to. Simply because there are so many out there who read and believe everything they see on the internet, and so they tend to shy away from the Oly. But also because Stag is made by CMT (Continental Machine Tool) who make alot of the AR parts and pieces for alot of the industry, not to mention the Military and Government.

I have had Stags, and they are very well made pieces, reliable and accurate. I can't say that I have owned any Oly AR's, but I have handled them and shot them. They also seem to be very well made, and went bang every time I pulled the trigger. And they never fail to get my attention every time I see one of their ads, where they advertize calibers like .243, .260, .300, etc. Something that very few offer.

But then again, once you get your first AR, you'll find how easy it is to just pull two pins, swap your upper assembly, magazine, and ammo, and be shooting anything from .204 to .50 caliber...from the same lower receiver.

So, take a look at both of the ones you mentioned again, either will work well for you as long as you take care of them. Most of the time, you'll find it call comes down to what symbol (roll mark) or brand name you want on the side of your receiver, what furniture or other options you want on it, what you want to feed it, what color you want it...all things that are easily changed, too. Any questions on "how to", you've come to the right place.

As for which one to buy...your choice. They both work.

Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 08-12-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #8

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The cost of .223 or 5.56 ammo is real high right now.
So I went with the S&W M&P 5.45x39 AR15 the ammo is cheap, & it just as accurate.

Great gun!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #9

Default Stag Model 2

Its the best deal out there and as good as any of the other models.

"Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war"

Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #10

I purchased the Stag 2TL last week. I love it, very high quality. I bought it after reading what i could find on here about Stag Arms, everything i have heard is good. As others have pointed out, they make military and law enforcement spec components, not junk. 300 rounds down range. Cant stop smiling (its my first AR)