Looking to build a rifle, economically. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Looking to build a rifle, economically.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperVet89 View Post
Hrm. Alright. what do you think my OAL will be with a 16"?
If you get a 16" consider a mid-length gas system upper, the bayonet won't fit right on a carbine with a 16" barrel, or so im told. Not a issue for most, but if its got a bayonet lug, it gets a bayonet at my house.

I also hear that the mid-length is more durable and has a longer sight radius and is therefore slightly more accurate with irons, but weighs just a tad more than a carbine. Being that you had an M4, you may prefer the shorter handguard and closer front sight.

Carbine length - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/16/psa-16-hammer-forged-m4a1-cmv-upper.html

Mid-length - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/16/psa-16-hammer-forged-midlength-upperpper.html

Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #42

Go figure when I go to look at them the PSA site is down for a bit.
@Ogre: Thanks man. I suppose that's not too bad.

What do you guys think of homemade suppressors? I mean, 700 bones for one is kinda steep. I'll go ahead and explain my plan though. I wanted to get a 2 inch diameter, 5 inch long aluminum case, easily picked up at home depot and then a 1 inch of the same thing. With a drill press I planned to put a ton of holes in the smaller piece, all uniform and clean. Then I planned to stuff the remaining space with something economical and easy to replace, I have no idea what just yet. Then simply find a threading that matches the barrel and install it. I'm aware of the 200 tax stamp.

Another question is this. If I go ahead and pay the 200 for the stamp, could I also modify the weapon for burst fire? Furthermore, do I need special ammo for the suppressor?

Last edited by SniperVet89; 04-14-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #43

Quote:
Go figure when I go to look at them the PSA site is down for a bit.
@Ogre: Thanks man. I suppose that's not too bad.

What do you guys think of homemade suppressors? I mean, 700 bones for one is kinda steep. I'll go ahead and explain my plan though. I wanted to get a 2 inch diameter, 5 inch long aluminum case, easily picked up at home depot and then a 1 inch of the same thing. With a drill press I planned to put a ton of holes in the smaller piece, all uniform and clean. Then I planned to stuff the remaining space with something economical and easy to replace, I have no idea what just yet. Then simply find a threading that matches the barrel and install it. I'm aware of the 200 tax stamp.

Another question is this. If I go ahead and pay the 200 for the stamp, could I also modify the weapon for burst fire? Furthermore, do I need special ammo for the suppressor?
According to the National Firearms Act of 1986 no new Automatic weapons can be made or owned by civilians. Automatic is defined as more one than one round per trigger pull, so burst fire is illegal, will get you 10 years in Leavenworth and about a $100,000 fine.

A pre 1986 registered legal auto sear can be purchased, but at last check were going for about 15k. Sorry bud, your a semi-auto civie now. I know it sucks. And yeah, you need sub-sonic ammo for the suppressor, its underpowered so that it doesn't break the sound barrier.

Last edited by sputnik1988; 04-14-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
According to the National Firearms Act of 1986 no new Automatic weapons can be made or owned by civilians. Automatic is defined as more one than one round per trigger pull, so burst fire is illegal, will get you 10 years in Leavenworth and about a $100,000 fine.

A pre 1986 registered legal auto sear can be purchased, but at last check were going for about 15k. Sorry bud, your a semi-auto civie now. in know it sucks. And yeah, you need sub-sonic ammo for the suppressor, its underpowered so that it doesn't break the sound barrier.
Ah. Good to know. Thanks mate, I'll go ahead and abandon that notion.
What do you think about the suppressor design? How can I tell if ammo is subsonic or not?
Another question is, should I get a 6.8 upper for hunting since the 5.56 would be pretty much pointless?

Also, this looks far cheaper than putting together each component myself. Saves a few hundred, thoughts?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits/16-hammer-forged-mid-length-mock-dissipator-rifle-kit.html

Last edited by SniperVet89; 04-14-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Ah. Good to know. Thanks mate, I'll go ahead and abandon that notion.
What do you think about the suppressor design? How can I tell if ammo is subsonic or not?
It is special ammo so it will say on the box in big letters, I cant imagine finding it anywhere but online, since its a novelty item more than anything. As for the design, I dont see why it would'nt work physically, but if my memory serves me, you have to be a registered class 3 manufacturer. Don't quote me on that, as I could have that mixed up with something else.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
It is special ammo so it will say on the box in big letters, I cant imagine finding it anywhere but online, since its a novelty item more than anything. As for the design, I dont see why it would'nt work physically, but if my memory serves me, you have to be a registered class 3 manufacturer. Don't quote me on that, as I could have that mixed up with something else.
I did a bit of homework, from my understanding you can make one but you must apply for the tax stamp before construction begins and be approved before you can start. This is far down the road though, haha. I guess i'd better focus on getting the rifle first, no?

Last edited by SniperVet89; 04-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #47

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It would be much easier and less prison intensive to just buy a suppressor than make one. I'm no expert but you gotta have a liscense to manufacture class three weapons and "cans" fall into that category. Plus how are you gonna make one better than the manufactures that have been making them for a long time? Trust the experts and pony up the cash for a legal one.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyogre View Post
It would be much easier and less prison intensive to just buy a suppressor than make one. I'm no expert but you gotta have a liscense to manufacture class three weapons and "cans" fall into that category. Plus how are you gonna make one better than the manufactures that have been making them for a long time? Trust the experts and pony up the cash for a legal one.
I suppose you're right. I probably wont bother with it for lack of money anyhow. Just getting ahead of myself. I've got most of the info I need to make an informed purchase for this AR. Thanks to all of you who helped and I'll be sure to update when I finally get the weapon.

Much obliged.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #49

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I suppose you're right. I probably wont bother with it for lack of money anyhow. Just getting ahead of myself. I've got most of the info I need to make an informed purchase for this AR. Thanks to all of you who helped and I'll be sure to update when I finally get the weapon.

Much obliged.
Keep us updated! I'm interested to see what you end up with.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #50

Getting a Mosin in about a week. Will upload pics then