Looking to build a rifle, economically. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Looking to build a rifle, economically.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Not a problem, we are always here. Another thing to keep in mind about barrel length - the powder from the round doesn't burn off completely in a short barrel, the longer the barrel, the longer the burn time, the faster the round. The same ammo will always be faster from a longer barrel.

A Ruger 10/22 is great for that mindless plinking thing, costs more than the Nagant, but the ammo is much cheaper.
Hrm. Well, after some thought I realize the M4 barrel is plenty short, I assumed it was smaller, I never paid attention to the exact dimensions of it. So I think I'll go with the 14.7 PSA has on their site.

This is basically what I want, with a more vibrant green. I may even spraypaint it if it comes down to it. Afterall, they're just plastic pieces.
http://www.lokiweaponsystems.com/products/ar-15-rifles/lws-m4-forged-rifles?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.t pl&product_id=26&category_id=8

I like it, but there is no way I can put down a grand at once, not til tax time. I'd rather build it, everyone says you can build them cheaper yourself so... Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I want. The upside of building it means I can buy them piece by piece, maybe a part a month.

I picked out some parts already, if you guys wanna take a look.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/14-5/psa-14-7-hammer-forged-midlength-light-weight-upper.html

With FG MOE Handguards

Lower Reciever
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/lower-receivers/palmetto-state-armory-gadsden-lower.html

Lower build kit
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/moe-lower-build-kit.html

What else would I need, besides optics?

Last edited by SniperVet89; 04-13-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #22

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1944

Bear in mind I'm more "Minute of Frisbee" accurate,

but an SKS without the grenade launcher attachment

is a well balanced small carbine. As others have

stated, unless you live on a farm, and have mad

carpentry skills, the 7.62 x 39 may be a scosche

overpowered for HD.

Perhaps you should consider more than one firearm

to complete your mission, because you're asking

an awful lot of one gun.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #23

Yeah, I think I finally got the stick out of my butt, so to speak, about 5.56. I used the round in theater and always thought poorly of it, considering it's low stopping power. You'd need to drop 3-4 rounds in a hadj before he'd go down. I don't really like the concept of having to dump four before they dump one. I'm confident in my trigger finger and target acquisition but still.

Regardless 5.56 is far more economic and despite it's shortfalls it has some upsides, including reducing overall weight and it's a pretty common round. After all, a round in the head is a round in the head. I don't think I'll have any problems with the 5.56 I was just hoping for a little more oompf for my buck.

I've decided on an AR-15 for general purpose, some sort of semiauto shotgun for HD and a Mosin Nagant for dicking off at the range. Though a small part of me wants to get a larger caliber for the AR, since I'll have the nagant for plinking.

That being said, can you comment on those parts I picked out? Total noob to building any weapon and the advice would be helpful. Thanks for all your input thus far.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #24

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Double post.

Last edited by sputnik1988; 04-13-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #25

That's everything you need, save for optics. That upper looks great, the lower is awesome looking and the MOE parts kit will work fine. The flash hider is pinned and welded, which means you can't change it, but it also means you don't have to worry about the tax stamp. Being permanently affixed definitely wouldnt stop me from buying and loving it.

I think you found your rifle, get the lower first, thats the 'gun' according to the ATF and the only part regulated. You will have to have it shipped to an FFL, but the rest of the parts can be delivered to your door.

Remember, the ammo in the service is FMJ, civilians can use anything, if you need more knockdown, the hollow points and ballistic tipped rounds put the fmjs to shame

Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperVet89 View Post
Though a small part of me wants to get a larger caliber for the AR, since I'll have the nagant for plinking.
You can pick up another upper later in a more manly caliber.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Yeah, I think I finally got the stick out of my butt, so to speak, about 5.56. I used the round in theater and always thought poorly of it, considering it's low stopping power. You'd need to drop 3-4 rounds in a hadj before he'd go down. I don't really like the concept of having to dump four before they dump one. I'm confident in my trigger finger and target acquisition but still.

Regardless 5.56 is far more economic and despite it's shortfalls it has some upsides, including reducing overall weight and it's a pretty common round. After all, a round in the head is a round in the head. I don't think I'll have any problems with the 5.56 I was just hoping for a little more oompf for my buck.

I've decided on an AR-15 for general purpose, some sort of semiauto shotgun for HD and a Mosin Nagant for dicking off at the range. Though a small part of me wants to get a larger caliber for the AR, since I'll have the nagant for plinking.

That being said, can you comment on those parts I picked out? Total noob to building any weapon and the advice would be helpful. Thanks for all your input thus far.
This is why we will all cheer when the .300 blackout becomes more popular. Best of both worlds. It's the .40 cal of rifles, I think. But for now the 223/556 does just fine. Maybe you should consider the Hydra, it's an AR than can be quickly changed out to fit like 18 different calibers. What makes it awesome is it can also be quickly changed to fit AK mags, which would make it super effective if you run out of ammo and you happen to be anywhere outside of the US. lol

Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
You can pick up another upper later in a more manly caliber.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-14-7-6-8-spcii-mid-length-cmv-mp-lighter-profile-upper.html

Yeah, I forgot to metion that the lower will work with different caliber uppers, buy the 5.56 now, get the 6.8 spc upper later.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
That's everything you need, save for optics. That upper looks great, the lower is awesome looking and the MOE parts kit will work fine. The flash hider is pinned and welded, which means you can't change it, but it also means you don't have to worry about the tax stamp. Being permanently affixed definitely wouldnt stop me from buying and loving it.

I think you found your rifle, get the lower first, thats the 'gun' according to the ATF and the only part regulated. You will have to have it shipped to an FFL, but the rest of the parts can be delivered to your door.

Remember, the ammo in the service is FMJ, civilians can use anything, if you need more knockdown, the hollow points and ballistic tipped rounds put the fmjs to shame
Damn, I really wanted to experiment with suppressors later on. Oh well, I can build an adapter for it if I really want.

Also, it's awesome that I can put a different upper on it. I may just do that later on. Then again if I'm going so far as to buying another upper, may as well shell out the extra 200 and make it a rifle.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. I'm getting the Mosin when I get paid on the 1st and I'll be saving for the AR thereafter.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Also, it's awesome that I can put a different upper on it. I may just do that later on. Then again if I'm going so far as to buying another upper, may as well shell out the extra 200 and make it a rifle.
Nah man, that's why the AR-15 is like the Barbie doll of rifles; you can keep the same doll/lower and just change the outfits/uppers. Maybe even pick up a pistol caliber upper at some point for better neighbor preservation. (Barbie dream house and corvette sold seperately and may require a tax stamp )

Dead Bears, the only good kind.