Looking to build a rifle, economically.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Looking to build a rifle, economically.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to build a rifle, economically.

Hi, new to the forums here. I'm looking to build a rifle for home defense and leisure shooting. I know that 5.56 immediately comes to mind but I used that round in combat, it's crap as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather go with 7.62x39 as it has more stopping power. I was debating on 6.8 SPC but at 24 bucks for a 20 box, it's not very economical. I'd like to go out to the range and sit down for several hours and just shoot without wasting 60+ bucks on ammo.

Now, I know you guys are all gun nuts so if I say something dumb, please be kind. I know little about the actual components of the weapon beyond what was needed to break down to clean and service. That being said, I'd like a 7.62 (or if you can convince me, 6.8 or 5.56) with a free floating barrel. I'd like the for the railsystem to extend as far towards the front sight post as possible as I intend to put railcovers on and paint them OD Green (Going for a nice look, see).

The reason I'm here, asking for help is because I have no idea what is compatible with what, a majority of this nomenclature is lost on me. My target cost is roughly 900 USD. Is there anything else you guys need to know about what I'd like?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

Liked 2558 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

First, hey SniperVet89,

welcome to the FTF.

Be sure to search the archives, because

this Q has been asked before. If you're seeking

sub-MOA accuracy from this round, you may want to consider either

reloading, or the more expensive Hornady, Speer, or S&B ammo.

Surplus ammo in this caliber is only par, and sometimes downright

spotty.

The real question here is how accurate do you want to be?

.308, for intermediate distances, and 30-06, for medium long range come to mind as

generally being more accurate cartridges, if popular cartridge sizes are important to you.

That said, the CZ527 might be your cup of tea. 711$ before shipping, FFL, etc.

Carbine sized, it would work for HD, but brings CZ quality and a bolt-action to the table...

Last edited by therewolf; 04-12-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

I just want something economical to shoot, on a weekly basis and for home defense. Originally I had the idea of a 7.62x39 with a short barrel. Think a SCAR but without all the ugly plastic framing.

While I do like the CZ527, I definitely want a proper AR. Looks like a great weapon, just not what I really want. As I understand it, half of building an AR is aesthetics, no?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperVet89 View Post
Hi, new to the forums here. I'm looking to build a rifle for home defense and leisure shooting. I know that 5.56 immediately comes to mind but I used that round in combat, it's crap as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather go with 7.62x39 as it has more stopping power. I was debating on 6.8 SPC but at 24 bucks for a 20 box, it's not very economical. I'd like to go out to the range and sit down for several hours and just shoot without wasting 60+ bucks on ammo.

Now, I know you guys are all gun nuts so if I say something dumb, please be kind. I know little about the actual components of the weapon beyond what was needed to break down to clean and service. That being said, I'd like a 7.62 (or if you can convince me, 6.8 or 5.56) with a free floating barrel. I'd like the for the railsystem to extend as far towards the front sight post as possible as I intend to put railcovers on and paint them OD Green (Going for a nice look, see).

The reason I'm here, asking for help is because I have no idea what is compatible with what, a majority of this nomenclature is lost on me. My target cost is roughly 900 USD. Is there anything else you guys need to know about what I'd like?
I'm a fan of the 5.56 in the AR platform, its what its designed for and seems to run the best with it, at least in my opinion. Surplus 5.56 is still around and is reasonably priced, while the 62 grain ballistic tip should do the job if you need a little more knock down.

Your name implies that you were a sniper or at least a decent marksman, I honestly don't see someone with that background shooting surplus 7.62x39 from the bench and getting any kind of satisfaction from that round. (the grouping anyway). It's one of my favorite rounds to shoot but for practical purposes I prefer the lighter recoiling round in a defensive rifle. Just my $.02.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

Liked 2558 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

Have you seen the LAR-47??

A bit overpriced, but perhaps what you seek.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Why not just plink away with a SKS for cheap 7.62x39 plinking fun. There are aftermarket stocks that have forward rails & a pistol grip, but it won't be a sniper rifle and is hard to scope. It might get you by until you find the perfect bargain plinkster, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I'm a fan of the 5.56 in the AR platform, its what its designed for and seems to run the best with it, at least in my opinion.
I thought that the AR10 came first and was in .308 at the time?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-12-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I thought that the AR10 came first and was in .308 at the time?
You may be right, I'm not too familiar with the 10. But if that's correct I concede that I was wrong once again.

Kinda off topic here but I shot a friend of mine's PTR-91 and it just recoiled too hard, I see little need for a high powered battle rifle personally. But, like anything else why does it have to be a need?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

@Sputnik: Thanks. You brought up some valid points. I agree that the difference between the 7.62 can definitely under perform at range., I just like the heavy powerful feel of the 7.62 as compared to throwing spitballs with the 5.56. On a long range rifle platform that can be dealt with but I imagine if I short barrel it (I know it's a 200 tax stamp but I'm getting it piece by piece) would be a boneheaded move. I will most likely go with 5.56 but I'd been considering 6.8 SPC, despite my overwhelming lack of knowledge on the round.

But yes, I was a scout sniper in the army. You inferred correctly! The bluegrass state? You live in Kentucky too?

@The Wolf: Yeah, she's a nice piece but a little above what I want to pay for a stock rifle.

@Orange: This is my first long rifle of my own (not issued, haha) and I'd like that first one to be just as viable for room clearing as dropping targets midrange but in all likelihood will be used for mindless plinking around. Even so, I'd rather have the capability to go CQC and not need it than need it and not be able to, savvy?. I've never used an SKS but it looks too cumbersome for any CQC

Last edited by SniperVet89; 04-12-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Even so, I'd rather have the capability to go CQC and not need it than need it and not be able to, savvy?. I've never used an SKS but it looks too cumbersome for any CQC
You didn't see the bayonet it comes with? It don't get much "closer" than that. But seriously, i hear you on that. I have zero combat experience and would just try to survive with pistols (XD45 & CZ75b with ~10 loaded mags each) and the shotgun (mossberg 500, 18.5" barrel etc.) if there was a need for a up-close or indoor gunfight. I don't have the training to use a rifle effectively in close quarters.

I suppose the VEPR's from Classicarms.us would probably be similarly limited, but they are supposed to be a little stouter and tighter than most AK clones.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-12-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
@Sputnik: Thanks. You brought up some valid points. I agree that the difference between the 7.62 can definitely under perform at range., I just like the heavy powerful feel of the 7.62 as compared to throwing spitballs with the 5.56. On a long range rifle platform that can be dealt with but I imagine if I short barrel it (I know it's a 200 tax stamp but I'm getting it piece by piece) would be a boneheaded move. I will most likely go with 5.56 but I'd been considering 6.8 SPC, despite my overwhelming lack of knowledge on the round.

But yes, I was a scout sniper in the army. You inferred correctly! The bluegrass state? You live in Kentucky too?

@The Wolf: Yeah, she's a nice piece but a little above what I want to pay for a stock rifle.

@Orange: This is my first long rifle of my own (not issued, haha) and I'd like that first one to be just as viable for room clearing as dropping targets midrange but in all likelihood will be used for mindless plinking around. Even so, I'd rather have the capability to go CQC and not need it than need it and not be able to, savvy?. I've never used an SKS but it looks too cumbersome for any CQC
Thanks for your service, I'm between Louisville and Cinncy by the way. I would also like to pick up a 6.8 spc AR, but am in the same boat with ammo, the cheapest ive found being about a buck a round.

As for the SKS idea, I am in the process of putting one together now, they are a blast to shoot but in my opinion lost all practically for combat use long ago. You can make it all tactical, but its still obsolete. Like i said, a blast to shoot, good range gun, but definitely not my go to gun if I had options.

By the way, if you want to save the tax stamp headache, you can get a 14.7 inch barrel with a permanently affixed A2 flash hider and be legal, just a suggestion. If I had to recommend a particular brand, it would be Palmetto State Armory, a friend of mine is putting one together and it looks top notch, all the premium AR guys usually recommend those too.

Last edited by sputnik1988; 04-12-2012 at 07:34 PM.