Looking for a 10mm Carbine - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Looking for a 10mm Carbine

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,814
Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

I guess I can sneak into the zoo-JK. Oh, we do have brown bears in Bavaria, but they normally are crossing the Alps and took a wrong turn somewhere. Austria does have brown bears.

__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,698
Liked 7017 Times on 3885 Posts
Likes Given: 6754

Default

The 10MM has fallen on hard times.

Since the ammo factories load it down almost to .40SW levels, lotsa folks who don't hand load have lost interest.

And that's a shame. Loaded up to the "old" full power Norma loads, it was a great cartridge.

Give me an "honest" 1500 FPS, with a 155 grain bullet from a 4 inch pistol, and I'd buy both a newer pistol and carbine tomorrow.

Trouble is, my EAA Witness and my Glock 20 probably wouldn't handle that power level! and a 1911 platform would blow up from it.

__________________
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AR10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Glock Certified Armorer In Occupied USA
Posts: 2,268
Liked 1137 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Default

I saved the midway link, thanks. I have an Olympic AR that would love having this as an accessory.

My Glock 20 would love a rifle as a sidekick.

__________________
AR10 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,154
Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I saved the midway link, thanks. I have an Olympic AR that would love having this as an accessory.

My Glock 20 would love a rifle as a sidekick.
I later saw a different 10mm carbine that used Glock 20 mags. I'll see if I can find a link...

http://thureondefense.com/content/thureon-defense-ga-carbine-0
I don't know much about it.
__________________

Dead Bears, the only good kind.


Last edited by orangello; 05-08-2013 at 05:12 PM.
orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,880
Liked 1272 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The 10MM has fallen on hard times.

Since the ammo factories load it down almost to .40SW levels, lotsa folks who don't hand load have lost interest.

And that's a shame. Loaded up to the "old" full power Norma loads, it was a great cartridge.

Give me an "honest" 1500 FPS, with a 155 grain bullet from a 4 inch pistol, and I'd buy both a newer pistol and carbine tomorrow.

Trouble is, my EAA Witness and my Glock 20 probably wouldn't handle that power level! and a 1911 platform would blow up from it.
Buffalo Bore still manufactures real 10MM cartridges.
__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,880
Liked 1272 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Default

Jager,

Apart from the cool factor, why do you want a 10MM carbine when you have an AR? At the distances that you would conceivably shoot someone with a 10MM, 556 is gonna have more oomph.

Also, if you want a pistol caliber carbine, can you get your hands on a Ruger 44 Magnum carbine?

I would think the 44 Magnum cartridge and the Ruger carbines would be more kosher with German laws regarding the "sporting purpose" of a cartridge and firearm combination than a 10MM MP5 type carbine would be. It's obviously going to have more power than the weak factory loads that most manufacturers produce. If it were me, I would stick with the AR, but I would look into a Ruger carbine. It's an older weapon, but it was fairly popular, so you should still be able to get magazines and parts for it.

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,814
Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

I would only buy it for the range. You cannot hunt with pistol ammunition in Germany. I going to hold off on another gun anyways. I am looking to buy a leupold or Zeiss for my AR now for hunting. I was now looking at an HK .45 carbine that looks real nice. I will look at this in a couple of years though. Right now the scope is the priority. .45 is easier to find then 10mm, and way cheaper. Did you know that .357 sig has not even reached Germany yet? I could order a Glock in .357 from Austria if I wanted to, but no ammo to shoot it. Ironic.

__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,676
Liked 3218 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I would only buy it for the range. You cannot hunt with pistol ammunition in Germany. I going to hold off on another gun anyways. I am looking to buy a leupold or Zeiss for my AR now for hunting. I was now looking at an HK .45 carbine that looks real nice. I will look at this in a couple of years though. Right now the scope is the priority. .45 is easier to find then 10mm, and way cheaper. Did you know that .357 sig has not even reached Germany yet? I could order a Glock in .357 from Austria if I wanted to, but no ammo to shoot it. Ironic.
Oh, I'm sure if someone wanted some, a way could be found to get some shipped in. I suspect that so far, no one in Germany see's the need for it either. Germans do have a reputation for being practical after all.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
Overkill0084 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,814
Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

That is true. Plus, they will let you know when are are not being practical. Sometimes quite rudely.

__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 27
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Just an FYI....

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

I also would like to have a quality 10mm carbine.

__________________
bfoosh006 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
RIA 10mm! Olympus 1911 Forum 24 11-25-2012 10:14 PM
.357 sig vs 10mm cakesterkiller Semi-Auto Handguns 16 06-24-2012 01:22 PM
The better gun....Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm or Hi-Point 9mm Carbine??? neil-v1 General Rifle Discussion 36 11-09-2011 12:05 AM
10mm jpattersonnh 1911 Forum 16 04-22-2010 07:26 AM
M1 ROCKOLA carbine and Paratrooper carbine matts General Rifle Discussion 3 06-10-2009 04:06 PM