Lockable Storage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Lockable Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lockable Storage

Hey all - I'm looking for a storage solution for locking up my long guns in the closet when I'm out. I've got an AR, a 12 Ga, and my wife's 20 Ga. For when we're out and don't take any of these with us, I was thinking of this unit for in the closet:

http://gunracks.tylerrose.com/

Any thoughts on this rack, or other suggestions?

I would also like to have a single vertical rack that I can put near the bed for my 12 Ga Remington, which is my home defense gun. I haven't found anything that I like for this application yet, and would appreciate some suggestions.

I'd also like to hear about your favorite lockable boxes for locking up a handgun inside a vehicle when necessary.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2008, 03:11 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I don't know about those things. If someone found it and had a couple of minutes your guns would be their guns. Of course, a plain locking cabinet is about the same as that. Maybe the visibility makes it seem less secure....

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

El Jefe,
Sounds like (my asssumption, you know how those go) you just want to protect them from theft when you are away. Nothing is burglar proof, so it comes in varying degrees with varying advantages vs cost. I dont recommend a rack like this for the security purpose. Better off with one of the 99 dollar gun lockers that you can lag bolt into wall studs. Better even, hidden in the back of a closet behind a clothes rack. Doesn't seem like loss to fire is a concern for you based off you considering the rack in the first place. Accessability? I have always subscribed to the "its either locked up (in any way) or its not" There is no in-between.
Bottom line is if you can afford it (no insult intended, things are tough all over) get a fireproof gun safe for storage. Again, nothing is burglar proof, but a good balance between practical and functional.
regards

Old 10-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #4

i have a gun cabinet that i bought at academy sports for $77.00 they have gone up in price now but it is great ,you bolt it to the floor and the wall,when you close the door it locks top , bottom , and side ,holds 8 long guns with a shelf for ammo, its made by STACK-ON ,then i have two small pistol cabinets,each holds 2 hand guns, that i bolted on top of the long gun cabinet, all bolted in the colset, BUT.when i go on vacation i take all my guns to my dads house,

Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #5

I have been told that burglars go to the bedroom first and check the dresser, bedside cabinets, and CLOSETS (especially closet floors, if carpeted) for safes.

I've also been told that burglars want to be in and out as fast as they can. Most opinions are 20 minutes or less (if no alarm is sounding).

The point of this knowledge is that you can't make things "totally" secure; your best defense is to "run out the clock" on the burglar.

An alarm equipted house and serious safe (well concealled if possible) will probably defeat most burglary attempts.

I was also told to "keep your mouth shut about what you have and where". Information is valuable and passes very easily when the "prize" is lucrative.

Maybe some of the LEO's could make suggestions.............

Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #6

Well Discover Chanel had a show on called "It Takes a Thief" that I used to watch.... to get to the point they where able to clear out a house in 8-12mins.... but the key thing was to make it where it is going to take to long for them to get in/make to much noise.... if you have alarm system signs then they may pass you up because the house next door dosn't. or if all your doors and windows are locked they may not want to risk make to much noise.... SO I would think its all about making your house look as hard/dangerous to get into as possible.... that said safes take a long time to get into and will make alot of noise. And that rack could be broken into with a crowbar and about 2mins with no real noise....

Change is not a destination, just as hope is not a strategy. - Rudy Giuliani

Knowing is half the battle. The other half is VIOLENCE.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9154 Times on 3953 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

Well, it has been said that a lock only keeps an honest man out. Not quite- purpose of locks, safes, cabinets, etc, is to make getting in time consuming, conspicious, and aggravating. Even a $10,000 Jewelers high security safe, rated for TRTL and EX (torch, tool, and explosives) CAN be opened with enough time and determination. Your goal is to make it take so long, and be so apparent that they decide not to try. A good gun safe can be a big help. A good bicycle lock that attaches to a pair of eyebolts run into a stud is not perfect- but is much better than nothing. Oh- why a pair of eyebolts? You can unscrew two that have a lock run thru them. One alone can be.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #8

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Why not build a false wall in the closet? I thought about getting a gun cabinet and actually still want to but right now the money isn't there. I am going to put in a panel on one end of my closet, it will be secured by nailing/screwing 2X4 blocks to the wall, ceiling and floor. It will probably only be deep enough for a single row of longuns, because any deeper than that would be noticable. My house has plywood paneling instead of drywall, so a removable panel with hidden longuns behind it would be a very easy project.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-30-2008, 02:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Why not build a false wall in the closet? I thought about getting a gun cabinet and actually still want to but right now the money isn't there. I am going to put in a panel on one end of my closet, it will be secured by nailing/screwing 2X4 blocks to the wall, ceiling and floor. It will probably only be deep enough for a single row of longuns, because any deeper than that would be noticable. My house has plywood paneling instead of drywall, so a removable panel with hidden longuns behind it would be a very easy project.
Say that's not a bad idea. I may noodle that around a little bit.

And thanks to all for the feedback. If I don't flesh something out along the lines of a false panel in the wall, I will look to do something more substantial than what I posted.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #10

thats very good , out smart the crook , he cant steal what he can,t see.