Less expensive alternative to ar-15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Less expensive alternative to ar-15

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dan,

Even though I'll agree with most that the AR platform should be the way to go...I'll go out on a limb and state that I actually do like the Mini-14, always have. Now that's not saying that I don't like the AR, because I do. I've built quite a few, one of the easiest platforms to build, modify, and accurize.

The Mini, as some have already stated, isn't exactly the most accurate gun in the box. But...it can be modified to make it pretty darn accurate, too. Mind you, it will take a bit of tinkering, but you'll be able to bust the clay pigeons at 100 yards with the best of them if you do it right. It will take quite a bit more to keep up with a good AR out past that 100 yards though.

If you do choose the Mini, first thing I would do...have the entire action glass bedded. Next, spend a little dough and replace the gas bushing, torque the gas block, and then invest in a muzzle break. If you've got more $$ to spend, a trigger job and a barrel stabilizer would be the next things on my to do list. Either that or invest in a better barrel. The more you can keep the gas consistent, minimize barrel harmonics, and improve your trigger action, you'll be surprised at how accurate the Mini can be.

OR...you could drop $6-700 on an AR, and maybe not have to do anything else but go have fun. But I guarantee you...once you start, it will be hard to stop...the tinkering, and adding this and that to whatever you buy, to make it...your own. But that was all written in the fine print of this sickness.

Which ever way you go, keep us informed, and like everyone has stated, there is alot of info and knowlegde on here to be gained and shared.

Slo

Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #22

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default What about the Beretta CX4 Storm?

I am looking at ways to keep all of my first weapons in 9mm since I started with one. I'm always looking to save money whenever I can. I want the best quality for the least amount of money. Since an AR is on my long-term list (not for plinking, but for possible SHTF scenarios), I started looking at alternatives in the near-term.

What are y'all's thoughts on the Beretta CX4 in 9mm? I'd probably put Gold Dot 124 gr +p's through it. I'm thinking the ballistics have to be pretty impressive.

I don't want to waste money (like the KelTec SUB-2000 or HiPoint 995 might be), but I really want it in 9mm. I also really like the $700 price.

Thoughts?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Save your money or get a HiPoint 995 for $200, or buy a DPMS Sportical AR15 for the $700 you want to spend on a Beretta! The HiPoint functions flawlessly and has a lifetime guarantee - but it's a 50 yd. gun, like any carbine. No comparison between a 9mm and a .223!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-17-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #24

I, like the Op Dan the Man, am looking for the right gun to buy just once. I'm all for buying as many guns as my wife will go for, but my first few purchases need to be correct.

I was only thinking of a handgun caliber carbine because it would be cheaper to feed. But my goal isn't plinking. My goal is being well-protected in case of SHTF or in case of protecting the 2nd Amend.

So, after looking at that DPMS Sportical, perhaps .223 or 5.45x45mm is the best way to go. It might cost the same for the weapon, but it would be more expensive to feed. Oh well. My purpose, above, might mean that spending more on ammo is the way to go.

I have a feeling that, after buying a carbine, my wife won't be all that happy about an AR15. And once the world changes (which it might, but hopefully doesn't) it will be too late to make any more purchases.

Dillinger, you talked about building one. Would building one keep the price at about the same as the $650-800 for the Sportical? But it wouls probably be better quality, huh? By quality I mean reliability and accuracy.

I'm not trying to highjack, Dan. It seems we're on the same wavelength here.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

Dillinger, you talked about building one. Would building one keep the price at about the same as the $650-800 for the Sportical? But it wouls probably be better quality, huh? By quality I mean reliability and accuracy.
Where is DnthMn lately?!?! He hasn't been around in quite some time...

Chris, here's the deal, Given the market, you can PROBABLY build a good AR for about that sum of money, but you will ultimately end up springing for little pieces that are just a bit better than bargain brand, and it will push that total over what you told the wife you were gonna spend.

And you will need a couple of tools to do the build properly, so you have to factor that in as well.

I always suggest someone build their own AR instead of paying the inflated prices for a complete gun. Why?:

1) Anyone that spends $1200 on a done up AR should know damn well how the weapon runs and functions. Most people who bought during the hype don't.

2) An informed person, one who bought their own weapon, can diagnose, and change out parts as needed, depending on their situation. Huge Plus over buying a model application "X" and adding an upper for application "Y".

3) Someone that understands the platform is going to do a better job of cleaning and maintaining the weapon.
EXAMPLE: We had some moron running around here for awhile telling everyone that the Accu-Wedge was a horrible idea and that it would splinter into little rubber pieces and lock up your trigger and would basically get you killed RIGHT when you need the weapon the most.
Now, guys like RL357, slowrdy45, bkt, stalkingbear, junho all know that is always a possibility ( though HIGHLY effing unlikely ) but the difference is, those guys will be cleaning their weapon the right way, maintaining and checking their weapons the right way, that SHOULD this event ever START to transpire, they would simply throw the piece out and plug in a brand new $3 Accu Wedge and go back to tack driving...

There is no reason NOT to build your own AR. They are, quite literally, an Ikea table to put together....

JD

Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
And you will need a couple of tools to do the build properly, so you have to factor that in as well.

I always suggest someone build their own AR instead of paying the inflated prices for a complete gun. Why?:

1) Anyone that spends $1200 on a done up AR should know damn well how the weapon runs and functions. Most people who bought during the hype don't.

There is no reason NOT to build your own AR. They are, quite literally, an Ikea table to put together....

JD
Dillinger, I knew I could count on you for a quick response. I am thinking the same thing so I'm glad to hear your thoughts.

Since my purpose is use during a WROL period, I better know how to operate, clean, maintain, and repair any weapon that I have. An AR15 isn't exactly a bolt-action .22. Building it myself would give me the experience to do all of the above.

There is no budget, per se. Just a need, and then an effort to minimize the cost on paper. Then I bring that amount to the budget table when we have some money to throw at it.

I'm sure that building AR's has come up before on other threads (many, many times). Do you have a list of links that would be the best resource for parts and instructions? Thanks!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

I'm sure that building AR's has come up before on other threads (many, many times). Do you have a list of links that would be the best resource for parts and instructions? Thanks!
Sure, take a look at these:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-end-ar-bs-5843/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/its-finally-finished-my-first-ar-6910/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/first-ar15-build-process-16897/

Start with those and ask some questions from there. There is a wealth of knowledge to try and digest, so don't get too caught up in it....

JD

Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yep, speaking from experience regarding the mini Ruger. Personally owned 4 or 5 over the years when they first came out. Ruger is an honest company to work with. Still the minis arent up to the AR-15 and well-made clones thereof, sold all of mine. Some of us have graduated to higher-powered AK-types or FALS, H&Ks even
M14/M1A. Even the SKS in the Soviet AK round 7.62X39. Fairly accurate and can be scoped.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For the record, I purchased my AR-15 from a guy who builds them. I paid $600 brand new. And it's a good rifle, not junk. 16 HBAR, with a flat top upper, and a removable A3 handle. Hammer forged upper and lower. But like others said, no bells and whistles beyond that. Simple, mil spec innards (long creepy trigger). It has the old, solid polymer stock, not adjustable. Old style straight hand guard with no rails. Again nothing fancy. But it goes bang every time and it will outshoot any Mini 14 by a huge margin. The Mini 14's are notoriously spotty on accuracy.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1207 Posts
Likes Given: 806

Threads, like people, just shouldn't be exhumed after four years in the grave.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Closed Thread